Reef nutrition

will seeding tank w/ copepods work w/ lps tank?

trying to get my new tank going w/ lots of pods.. thinking of placing an order for some copepods and seeding the tank w/ em. is this futile effort w/ a lps dominated tank?

My LPS tank if chock full of pods. I think they are able to avoid the LPSs and capitalize on the extras from the feedings. :)

sounds like a good idea to me. I'm sure there are some BAR members to give you a ball of cheato w/ their pods- it'll give you more diversity.

i was afraid all the pods would swim blindly into the lps and not populate the tank. lol

looking for those larger copepods in particular or mysis. was planning on ordering from a vendor that carries em but if someone has some they can spare i'd totally appreciate it.

I have lots of chaeto filled with pods you could have. I also have the larger amphipods and mysis in my tank. :)

My Chaeto also has Strombus snails in it, and the Chaeto is the thin kind. You could pick the snails out if you don't want them, although they are voracious microalgae eaters. Also good for a nano tank. They stay really small, about 3/8 inch.

FWIW mysids and amphipods are top of the "pod" chain. They eat each other and all other pods. They tend to be strong enough to pull themselves from the grips of many different corals. IMO going smaller is better unless you plan on feeding them to allow other pods to survive :)

Buyer beware when it comes to buying mysids. We're really the only (of smaller volumes) supplier for true vector free aquacultured mysids. Some other are aquacultured but they're from peoples coral systems(gamble). The others are wild harvest (gamble) and you get other things sometimes.

Back