Reef nutrition

Work sink makeover - need ideas!

Chromis

Supporting Member
We’ve been slowly redoing sections of our garage since moving in. Our washing machine finally broke and we replaced it with a stackable unit, so now have room to expand the work sink area. The old work sink and cabinets seem to be the original 1960’s ones so these will be totally replaced. This area is under a skylight so it gets nice light and I think it could be turned into my dream coral fragging/water change area.

I’m looking for ideas, things to keep in mind, tips...

current feature list:
- large drain catch with some kind of removable grating or a place to put coarse filter pad
- sink for coral fragging only and sink for everything else (mops, cleaning chemicals) - anyone know any good sinks? What’s the best material to use?
- wet workspace that drains into the sink where my saw can permanently live
- pegboard (?) or some organizational system for hoses and tools
- dry rack
- a flexible spray faucet for cleaning
- An improved water change system (there has to be something better than Python. Tired of having to flush the hose back because it clogs every five minutes).

Thanks, this is perfect and looks like they made it easy to change out the trap-bottle!
Yeah, easy to change out. I have one at my work for a stone model grinder.

20210602_132153.jpg

So I recently built the dream garage on a budget. I did all the work myself. For the sink Costco had a stainless steel sink with backsplash and fixture for 250.00 . It’s made by trinity and I’ve been happy with it.

for coral cleaning and stuff that is “nastier” I put a sink outside the garage for that task. Just the polycarbonate ones with legs for 100.00 at pretty much any Home Depot or Lowe’s.

My parents slop sink has these paddles at knee/thigh height that allow you to turn on the sink with dirty hands/stuff in your hands. I think that could be a handy feature to include.

Threading for a hose on the faucet can be nice for washing things with the ability to use hot or cold water. Like for giving a dog a wash

And Drains! I would put in a floor drain and also an "in-wall" drain like washing machines use. I just hook my SICCE pump right to the in wall drain and I never had to deal with mess. Very efficient.

Is the garage already sheet-rocked? If not I mean the possibilities are endless. I put in plugs ever 2 studs because I never wanted to use an extension cord.

Also... I dunno how industrial you're but I found a air hose real plumbed to an air compressor to be very handy for blowing water out of things with a rubber tip gun attachment.

- sink for coral fragging only and sink for everything else (mops, cleaning chemicals) - anyone know any good sinks? What’s the best material to use?
Keep in mind while stainless steel is nice, it is never truly stainless. Not that a hole will just corrode right through it, but it does take some effort to rinse it down and dry it off. Of course mine was in the war zone (humid region) so that may have more to do with it than salt water splash. That said, stainless was my choice because there are LOTS of options there, but if there was an enamel coated sink that had the same specs I might just think of that.
- wet workspace that drains into the sink where my saw can permanently live
This was one of my needs too, I got something similar to THIS, which had a place to put everything to drip dry. Granted this required a cabinet to build up, I have seen free standing versions but they were much more expensive. You could simply get a rubber/plastic drip tray if you do have the sink in a cabinet though.
- dry rack
- a flexible spray faucet for cleaning
Look on Amazon if you want to save a few bucks, they have similar to those Kohler ones, they have that "springy" commercial kitchen look. Not the same, but I did get something that looks similar to this one
- An improved water change system (there has to be something better than Python. Tired of having to flush the hose back because it clogs every five minutes).
Bigger hose? Use your return pump to prime the hose.

Keep in mind while stainless steel is nice, it is never truly stainless.

Bigger hose? Use your return pump to prime the hose.
yea I’ve never seen steel not rust near saltwater. I just don’t know if composites or acrylic are better. After looking into it, stone composites and ceramic are a little expensive for a garage sink.

Priming a bigger hose would work if I had the floor drain, maybe there is a way to put a large diameter canister with coarse mechanical filter in line, so tank-canister-pump-sink?

Back