Writer's Reef (Bruce's Tank)

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Feb 13, 2017.

1. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Too big for tigers need phyto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral reefer likes this.
  2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Ah ok, yeah the 72" length definitely gives it a big illusion of being short.

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Seen it in person. Is as nice as he makes it sound and look here. Way to finally join the club for real and "show us yours" Bruce! I enjoy seeing the new crop of members we have that are not about to have kids and drop out of the hobby. Bodes well for the club. Thanks for posting

4. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Hey a bunch of us just had kids and are sticking around! :cool:

Coral reefer likes this.
  5. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I had all my kids before joining the club so I should be good.

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

You are part of that group I mentioned!

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I'm in that group too...no worries, takes all kinds! Just guys like us have a little less time and money for the hobby in general. This club could use some mainstays that can take the reigns for a few years. We always do ok on numbers, but people tend to come and go a lot. Hoping we can change that a bit over the next few years.

Gablami likes this.
  8. sfsuphysics

Yeah I'm in that group now too, of course without kids things would have progressed faster than they have on my new tank... who am I kidding probably not :D

I do have an indoor outdoor lagoon pond setup though... my goal is to get everything setup before he gets mobile to the point of getting to the fish room, right now it's a major hazard for a kid (open body of water) but he's not anywhere (hopefully) close to being able to traverse the stairs to the basement and get into trouble. Then it becomes a matter of locking up the fish room/access so he doesn't screw with my stuff! :D

9. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

I wish my kids were still young --- then I could trade them for corals. I lament that I missed that opportunity.

10. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

I have 3 kids. I setup my first tank when my daughter was 5 months. She is Now 10 months old and loves to see the fish. I TOLD MY WIFE THAT THE TANK WAS MY BABY GIRL TO SEE NEMO LOL

11. gabloo

gabloo Guest

Hi,
    Do you mind sharing how you control nitrate and phosphate level? Do you use bio-pellet or gfo?

12. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Tank is looking good! Makes me want to get a second mandarin too, never thought about it. Maybe it can teach the new one to eat pellet too hehe

I always see pods when I shine my flashlight into the overflow. But I do have a ton of chaeto and live rock in sump too.

13. Bruce Spiegelman

It is something I stuggle with from time to time (Nitrates -- not phoshates.). The biggest defense is a weekly 15% water change and I've lowered the amount I feed. I don't run bio-pellets or a reactor, but I do keep a bag of Chemipure and a bag of Seachem Phosguard under each return. I am going to add a Marinepure 8x4x4 brick later this week after having success with one in a barebottom, no rock frag tank.

I also put diapers on the tangs during the week to help collect waste.

WrightReef, Coral reefer and Flagg37 like this.
  14. Bruce Spiegelman

Get one! Make sure it's the opposite sex and when they pair up and do their mating dance you'll be forever thankful you pulled the trigger.

15. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Now I know what to use our extra swim diapers for.

WrightReef likes this.
  16. sfsuphysics

Would love to see results of that Marinepure block, assuming you test for nitrates on a regular basis.

Coral reefer likes this.
  17. Bruce Spiegelman

I'll let you know. I test four times a month.

18. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

First I wanna say how much I like this tank. Never seen it in person but love the look of it. Second while I was raising my 3 kids I had 6 tanks running ( all salt ). Yeah some nights dinner wasn't all that great

Chromis likes this.
  19. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

I like the lagoon style layout with lots of exposed sand. Beautiful!

20. Bruce Spiegelman

Thank you very much -- both of you.