Yellow Tang Issue

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by magnetar68, Jan 22, 2017.

1. magnetar68

magnetar68 Guest

After speaking to a few knowledgeable people (you know who you are), I added three same sized juvenile yellow tangs at the same time to my 125G. One was killed by my female clown (who is now in a different tank). So I was left with 2. They seemed find for a couple of weeks, but one of them has grown a little faster and is now a bit larger than the other. The larger is bullying the smaller with some gusti. It looks like the smaller is trying to submit but the larger one is making sure the smaller one stays in a corner of the tank. At point pont do I need to think about separating them?

2. tankguy

tankguy BOD

I've always done yellow tangs either only one or in three's to try an eliminate what your going threw. I'd pull one

beegee likes this.
  3. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

It's not allowing the smaller to leave the corner? Or just chasing back to the corner once a while? Any nipped fins?

How much are you feeding? Sometimes aggression can arise if they perceive there isn't enough food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

You could try a mirror.

5. magnetar68

magnetar68 Guest

Feeding a lot: 3x per day with the addition of Nori every other day. No nipped fins yet, but I have seen the larger take shots at the smaller one. I don't releish the idea of trying to remove the smaller one as these tangs are super fast. I will keep an eye on it, but chances are I am going to need to find a home for one of them.

6. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I think a little chasing here and there is not a concern. You are going to see that esp if you have con species in tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. magnetar68

magnetar68 Guest

They seemed to be working things out. Less chasing and the smaller one is getting out and about.

Coral reefer likes this.
  8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

That can take a little time. Way to ride it out.