Kessil

Your Bulk sodium Bicorbonate

Robert/Cerissa,

I recently picked up some your bulk soidum bicorbonate and was just curious as to how much do i need to make a gallon of solution?

Thanks!

Here is a link to Bulk Reef Suplies Instructions. It says 1 1/8 cup for a gallon.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/Recipe-2-Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials

We use roughly about 1 cup per gal as well.

For Mag, we use 3 cups of Mag Sulfate/5 cups of Mag Chloride to make 1gal of solution.

It is a lot. it takes a heck load of MG to get your levels up as well. Watch your salinity when raising your MG.

GreshamH said:
It is a lot. it takes a heck load of MG to get your levels up as well. Watch your salinity when raising your MG.

Yup. That's one of the biggest factor that differentiates good salt from crappy ones.

Cool, thanks guys. one more question...Just got done reading the bulk reef supply directions. So the Mag, i add after I go thru a gallon of cal and alk? I can add the whole gallon of mag or spread it out within 2 days?

From the BRS web site.

•Once the dose is dialed in continue daily dosing until the gallon jugs of Calcium and Alkalinity are finished. At this point it is time to dose 20oz of the Magnesium solution. This can be done entirely in one dose just remember to add slowly to a high flow area of the tank.
•It is OK to dose the Magnesium portion in multiple doses instead of one dose at the end. If you opt to do this, just keep to the following ratio: 20oz of Magnesium solution for every 1 gallon of Calcium and Alkalinity. (20oz Magnesium:1 gallon Calcium:1 gallon Alkalinity)

I add it over the same amount of time I add the gallon of CA/ALK. You don't want it to drop, then jump up IME/IMO

Yeah, I "jumped up" Mg using Tech-M in an attempt to kill bryopsis. Bad move, my two Bangaii Cardinals died within the week.
Never jump up anything!

V

I hate to say it, but I doubt the MG did that. that is the first time in my entire reefing career I have ever heard mention of raising MG killing fish and I've heard of some massive jumps. You can read hundreds of accounts of people doing just what you did with no fish loss just on RC alone.

I personly dose my Mag with my Ca and Alk on occasion because I just don't like large swings in my perameters. I don't think it really hurts anything with the change but I feel better keeping it as stable as possible.

Ok, cool. I also noticed that some of the MAG mix has not dissolved since last night and looks like there is some fine brownish particles that settles on the bottom. Is this normal also and im guessing I should try not to add that stuff to the tank.

Back