Neptune Aquatics

Anyone breeding Cardinal fish or "common" clowns?

I'm not looking to get into breeding, just looking for something local that I can throw into my anemone refugium under the tank.

Or is BAP happening again? Maybe I'll wait until that, and try again with a ton of clowns like I did... before tragedy destroyed my fish population.

Well damn I don't know. I got at least 2 dozen anemones in my quasi-fuge area. Maybe half a dozen or a dozen? I dunno, the space is 3 feet by about 6 feet and the anemones have wandered so they should have plenty of "territory" in their anemone area.

How long ago did those guys hatch?

The clowns are eating c1 tdo pellets and they like live baby brine shrimp and frozen cyclopeeze.
hatched mid April. they would be happy there. .\>)

They would be happy even though I don't have any of those foods you mentioned? :) Although I might have some of the TDO pellets I got as a sample years ago before they had an official name for them

If anyone is breeding Bangai Cardinals let me know I want to put a few in my reef and would rather have the tank bred Cardinals.

depends upon the type of clowns, I'd rather not have any "angry" versions like tomato or maroon.

Did you ever see mona's (mobert) tank? I remember seeing a thread where she had a whole clutch of clownfish living together in her anemone dominant tank. The pics and videos she put up were so fun to watch.

Any pics of your quasi-fuge?

Did you ever see mona's (mobert) tank? I remember seeing a thread where she had a whole clutch of clownfish living together in her anemone dominant tank. The pics and videos she put up were so fun to watch.

Any pics of your quasi-fuge?
I do recall seeing Mona's anemone dominate tank. My memory is a bit hazy but didn't it have a nasty crash? Or am I thinking of someone else.

As to the pics, ummm I could probably get some later today, although there's a bit of nasty dinoflagelates going on, etc... but I'll try to get something.

Ok here's a few pics I took, the fuge area is really too large for me to to take pictures of everything so I took one shot down the long direction of it, and a few close ups of the main anemone rock where most of the clowns reside.

Getting a white balance to work here is too much of a hassle, the main bank of anemones (nearest) is under strictly royal blue LEDs, where as farther down is my LED creation which at the time of taking this picture all of the LEDs are on at full power so it's as white as it gets. I don't have lenses on the big fixture, so there is some spillover, and the anemones really aren't as blue/purple as the photo looks.

So most of the clownfish (10-15 I'm guessing) are on the rock in the foreground on the left, occasionally one or two go to the right rock, but they seem to move back and forth as necessary, no one clownfish owns an anemone they simply move through the tentacles like it is a forest of trees. There's a single anemone about 3 feet farther, in that first anemone near the upper middle (just above the foreground ones) that looks a more deeper red color, he wandered somewhere down there and that home. And one last clownfish in the anemone at the very top of the photo, that's about 5 feet away from the foreground, and is fairly close to the overflow but he seems to be smart enough not to go any farther and is quite happy there... but it's a bigger pain to feed because I can't just feed one area.
P1010045_zps5adf4745.jpg

So these 4 shots are of the rock to the left side, where most of the clownfish live, I tried to get as many as I can in the shot, but not everyone thought that I was going to feed, and I'm not going to try and hold the camera with one hand while squirting food just to get some in frame, I can very easily see the camera falling into the tank... Just noticed there's a little blurry spot(s) on my look down camera taker, so ignore those blurs :)
P1010058_zps6746d875.jpg

P1010064_zpsb524f5f6.jpg

P1010053_zpsd878b2e9.jpg

P1010066_zpsd90e160c.jpg

This is the rock to the right near the top, they're much more bubbly.
P1010050_zps4e9f36ff.jpg

That's so awesome! My fuge is a small hob filter with some egg crate and a ball of chaeto haha.

Loving the colors on the green based red anemones. I'm surprised to see such large anemones staying put under royal blue only part of the tank.

I don't know what ever happened to mona'mona's tank. I just remember reading through her thread a long time ago. It's a shame if it did crash though. Kind of cool knowing that alot of the anemones can date back to her since if I remember correctly, she supplied the extras to Robert at neptunes or was it dolphin pet village that shut down a few years ago

Ok here's a few pics I took, the fuge area is really too large for me to to take pictures of everything so I took one shot down the long direction of it, and a few close ups of the main anemone rock where most of the clowns reside.

Getting a white balance to work here is too much of a hassle, the main bank of anemones (nearest) is under strictly royal blue LEDs, where as farther down is my LED creation which at the time of taking this picture all of the LEDs are on at full power so it's as white as it gets. I don't have lenses on the big fixture, so there is some spillover, and the anemones really aren't as blue/purple as the photo looks.

So most of the clownfish (10-15 I'm guessing) are on the rock in the foreground on the left, occasionally one or two go to the right rock, but they seem to move back and forth as necessary, no one clownfish owns an anemone they simply move through the tentacles like it is a forest of trees. There's a single anemone about 3 feet farther, in that first anemone near the upper middle (just above the foreground ones) that looks a more deeper red color, he wandered somewhere down there and that home. And one last clownfish in the anemone at the very top of the photo, that's about 5 feet away from the foreground, and is fairly close to the overflow but he seems to be smart enough not to go any farther and is quite happy there... but it's a bigger pain to feed because I can't just feed one area.
P1010045_zps5adf4745.jpg

So these 4 shots are of the rock to the left side, where most of the clownfish live, I tried to get as many as I can in the shot, but not everyone thought that I was going to feed, and I'm not going to try and hold the camera with one hand while squirting food just to get some in frame, I can very easily see the camera falling into the tank... Just noticed there's a little blurry spot(s) on my look down camera taker, so ignore those blurs :)
P1010058_zps6746d875.jpg

P1010064_zpsb524f5f6.jpg

P1010053_zpsd878b2e9.jpg

P1010066_zpsd90e160c.jpg

This is the rock to the right near the top, they're much more bubbly.
P1010050_zps4e9f36ff.jpg
So cool!!!

I realize I'm reviving an older thread, but do you have any more clowns left?

We're looking to find a pair that've been tank raised, preferably someone local like you.

Back