Jestersix

Forum Event: Semi-Rainbow Acan Grow-out Contest - REGISTRATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Featuring BAR's Semi-Rainbow Acan Grow-out Contest

I'm proud to introduce BAR's first coral grow-out contest for 2015. Let's start this off with some awesome rainbow acan lord frags from California Reef Co. in Fremont. This contest is a friendly competition to see whose tank and husbandry techniques can grow corals the fastest. The person with the most growth at the end of the contest will win a prize. Let's rock and roll!:D

The Coral

• This is a special Lord Acan which wants to be a rainbow acan.
  • It is suppose to gain a green star around the mouth and green around the rim.
  • I've personally had this specific acan before and it quickly gained its "green star" and splotching in about two weeks in my tank.
  • Acans as you may know are notorious for changing colors depending on conditions mostly light intensity/range.
Here's a WYSIWYG picture of one of the frags. See the little bit of green streaks?
  • IMG_9914.jpg
  • This is the same acan in the SPS Display Tank at California Reef Co. Swing by and take a look :cool:
    • Here's a crappy picture of this acan in a nice tank. unnamed.jpg (click)
    • Green star, yellow, orange, green rim and all!
How does this contest work?
  • The cost to participate is 10$.
  • Each participant gets 1 frag of this coral.
  • The first 10 members to post their intent in thread will be allowed to participate in the competition
    • After I confirm your participation, I will require you to send 10$ to our paypal account paypal@bareefers.org as a "gift".
    • We only have 10 frags available.
    • All frags are single polyp.
  • This grow out contest will last 6 months from the start date.
  • Every month you must post 1 picture of the frag showing the amount of polyps.
  • At the end of the contest, the person with the most polyps or heads wins the contest.
  • Make arrangements with @Enderturtle to pick up your frags (in San Mateo)
  • Do what you need to do to make this thing grow!
Prize
  • A 50$ Gift Card to any of BAR's Local Fish Store Sponsors
Rules:
  • You must be a supporting member to participate.
  • You must post 1 picture of the frag every month or else you are disqualified from the contest.
    • We will set up a "Growth Tracking Thread" for this once we get the 10 people.
  • If it becomes obvious you are only participating to buy cheap corals, you will be banned from future coral grow-out contests.
  • Sorry B.O.D, we're short on frags on this one. No B.O.D may participate unless we have frags leftover.
Why Do I Have to Pay?
  • These corals cost the club money and honestly you will not find a frag of this for 10$ at any store.
  • This small fee offsets the total cost of this competition so that we can save money to do even more contests and buy more prizes for you.

Current Participants
Finnaddict
Prisonfood53
Jonmos75
Poolscapes
Boun11
iCon

Swayd
Corallus
Jctse

Wpeterson

Registration is Closed. No more frags left.

Want to see how people are doing in this competition? Go to this page.

:D Did you miss out on the frags for this competition? No worries, I also have a very special ZOA/PALY Grow-out contest from Neptune Aquatics coming up very soon.

Attachments

• IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I would second that. I've had MUCH better luck with acans then zoas (and I'm a newb). If you like the look of them, I'd definitely recommend giving them a shot. :)

I'm In also...love this Idea!!!

Sent the money @Enderturtle let me know if I did this correctly....also I live in Santa Cruz so try to give me a heads up on when to pick it up on a weekend hopefully so I can put it in my schedule and try to get over the hill....lol

We're around most days so just shoot ender a pm when would be good for you. I think the only thing we have set this weekend is going to a family game-night on saturday night :)

Ok I'll diversify I'm in. Don't use PayPal much on the mobile site don't see sending as a gift. Only option is just to send money is this okay?

Ryan

This is a great opportunity to show your grow-out skills! I look forward to who else chooses to participate. If we have any left, I may even participate! :)

Done, man look at all this growth after a single day! Do I win yet? :D

seriously, I have more than enough acans, so I'll let others work this one :)

Attachments

• RainbowAcan.JPG
    RainbowAcan.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 397
LOL... Seriously how long did it takes to grow that many heads?
No secret information to let you get a jump on the competition! :D

Not sure though, I think my stupid foxface is picking at it though, I'm really hating that fat bastard he bullies the hell out of my purple tang whenever there is food. I want to say "He's worth more than you, stop it!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back