Our mission

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453590678.257651.jpg

A better image of our amazing rock work, courtesy of Johnny.

Next photos, Kold Ster-Il setup and water in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean, I ended up using hard PVC for my first ever reef plumbing job and it wasn't as bad as I thought it wold be. I swapped out my return pump for a smaller one, which left it about an inch above the floor of the sump, so I folded up a piece of neoprene and made a kind of pillow for it. In my case, with the hard PVC, I didn't want to stress the joints with the weight of the pump, but that may not be an issue for you. Sounds like you're almost there!

If we can ever get the canisters unstuck from our Kold Ster-Il, we will get water in it, too!! We owe it to Brandie to do it justice, after all that happened with her 210.

So close and so far... We don't have good seals, so we are dripping. Which we could live with to get water in the tank... But the TDS reading is higher than before filtration. So we have some flushing to do. Or something.

We started at 39 pre filter, and first water out of filter was 49. 10 minutes and two buckets later, 45. We'll fill one more bucket and call it a night.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453617852.308348.jpg

I don't see an RO membrane. What are in the canisters?

This is a Kold Ster-il setup not RO/DI. Our tap TDS is <40 ppm, and we want a 0 waste water approach. A few other reefers in the club do it, we've been consulting with them privately. @gimmito is our hero tonight. And generally on this.

Ideally, the filters would get us down to 0 ppm or close. We may have crap filters though. One is torn.

So much for filling our tank this weekend!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453618545.674616.jpg

Gotcha. Not familiar with Kold Ster Il. Read up on it and it sounds interesting. But it would never work for me. My tap tds is >350.

Brief update: this weekend was massive progress, but still no water in the tank. Likely suspect: the filters went bad in the year that they hung out in the basement. One of them appears to have a little mildew. Or something. We'll talk to Poly Bio Marine and/or Filter Guys tomorrow and rejigger everything.

Brief update: this weekend was massive progress, but still no water in the tank. Likely suspect: the filters went bad in the year that they hung out in the basement. One of them appears to have a little mildew. Or something. We'll talk to Poly Bio Marine and/or Filter Guys tomorrow and rejigger everything.
Hang in there folks...you're almost there.

Last edited:
That is great rockwork! Those tiers make for a lot of space for attachment and also for lower light corals below. You are giving me some good ideas. Currently my tank is mostly a giant pile of rocks.

Ya'll are just reminding us how excited we are to get water in this thing. And then living creatures. :)

New Kold Ster-Il filters, plus a dual-DI unit en route by this weekend... plus triple inline TDS meter so we can geek out a bit regarding what is/isn't removing solids. Bit of a hiccup in my/Betsy's schedule but we should be ready to get water in by next week. FINALLY. Lawrence is reading up on the AquaController, while we are waiting I got the unit setup on our network. Then we'll focus on PS and ATO setup. And getting our Brutes for ATO and mixing salt water.

FUN TIMES AHEAD.

Is it too early to start thinking of our first add to the tank?

Back