Our mission

bee505 130g Tank

Things are starting to settle in. Unfortunately, I lost my large Miyagi Tort colony last week. I guess I can’t complain since that I only lost one colony during the tank transfer. The tank is also becoming an aiptasia farm. I dropped 10 berghia nudibranchs in the tank and it did nothing. A couple weeks later, I dropped 5 peppermint shrimp in the tank and it did nothing. Very tempted to put a file fish in the tank, but I’ve heard that is also a hit or miss, like everything else. I am learning to just live with the aiptasia.

Here are a few crappy camera phone pics. Enjoy.

20160212_171905_v2.jpg

20160118_201327_v2.jpg

20160211_202814_v2.jpg

Beautiful chalice colonies.

What is the first rainbow one you posted?

You think the berghia/peppermint shrimp are getting eaten by one of your fish? I heard some wrasses love to eat berghia nudibranchs and some eat peppermint shrimps too!

Also given the choice of pellets/mysis/brine shrimp, a peppermint shrimp will eat those over aiptasia anyday. You do kinda have to starve peppermint shrimps to get them to focus on Aiptasia.

Last edited:
Looking good Bennett, glad everything is going good! :D

I feel your pain about aiptasia though, I'm inching closer to the full acid wash of all my rock just to get rid of it, I mean I had some aiptasia that were an inch or 2 wide... aiptasia X seems to kill it though, although who knows. I tried the nudibranch route on my anemone tank, unfortunately I think bristleworms got them :(

Tank looks great!
Try making your own aiptasia killer; make paste with kalk and use a huge syringe with a long rigid tube attached to reach in. You can also bend the end of the tubing with some heath. TAP Plastics should have the syringes in stock and rigid air line tubing from any fish store.

Awesome!! Love the tank, it looks great.

I have a nice colony of Miyagi Torte and you are always welcome to a frag if you like.

As for aptasia.......I have now made it part of my water change routine. I spend at least an hour just feeding the aptasia X and it gets rid of them for a week or so. They are back by the time I do it again two weeks later. Sucks, but seems to keep them from spreading as fast. There are places I can't reach that are over run (behind large rocks, etc).

Congrats..........things look really great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Enderturtle That first pic is a rainbow crush. Had it for about 2 years. But the orange skirt is tucked in, it's trying to reach the rock to spread out.

Thanks for the advice on the aiptasia. I've also tried Aiptasia X, but like @Kmooresf , the aiptasia comes back after a week. I might try to drop in 10 peppermint shrimp and see if I will have any luck. My aiptasia are so big that it might require a bunch to gang up on them.

Another year has gone by. Tank is still looking okay. I have left this tank on autopilot since the beginning. I seriously think this is why I am still in the hobby. My maintenance includes water change (5 gal nothing more) a week, clean the glass with magnet, empty the skimmer, and top off my auto-top-off bucket. The bulbs are due for a change, I'll take care of it during the holiday break. I added quite a few fish to the tank, yellow tang, chromis, black clown, flame angel. I haven't added any new corals in over 6 months now, I'm hoping to grow out what's in the tank and have the tank filled by next year.

Here are a couple full tank shots. Enjoy.

2214zo.jpg

nc039t.jpg

Looks great.

You know there's a company called Euroquatics that makes "E5" bulbs that slip right into T5 slots. Their LED based and supposedly give a similar output but with much longer life. Not sure how true that is, but it is something that I've been looking into, because most issues I've had have been "When did I last change those bulbs"

Looks great.

You know there's a company called Euroquatics that makes "E5" bulbs that slip right into T5 slots. Their LED based and supposedly give a similar output but with much longer life. Not sure how true that is, but it is something that I've been looking into, because most issues I've had have been "When did I last change those bulbs"

Good point. I have looked into Euroquatics earlier this year. The bulbs do last longer, but you're also paying a premium. Goes hand in hand. I don't mind changing the bulb every year. At $20 a pop on a 6 bulb fixture, it's not a deal breaker. I am actually very tempted in going back to halides.

Back