Kessil

Fritz salt

I just started trying since I won 3 buckets at the farmers market.

Mixed clear in 30 minutes. Turned off pump about 30 minutes later.Precipitated? (white dust settling and cloudy when mixing again). With Instant Ocean, one it mixed clear, it would stay clear even when storing without pump/powerhead on. A lot of times, I don't use the fresh mix right away. I'll try to keep a smaller powerhead on to see if it stays clear next time, but sucks if I need to do that to keep it clear. Or I just need to mix longer the first time.

Tested parameters two days later, which might have affected my readings compared to fresh batch testing. Also, I did scoop out about 2 gallons to replenish lost tank water after the swap, but I had it mixing for about 30 minutes before I removed water. That might affect the readings also.

18 gallon RODI
9 level cups of Salt (5 lb 7 oz weighed) Bucket Lot #28166
77F Room and Water temperature
Salinity 1.025
Alk 7.7-7.8 (Hanna Checker and Salifert)
Cal 425 (Salifert)
Mag 1350 (Salifert)
Potassium 430 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)
Strontium 10-16 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)
Iodide .01-.02 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)

Almost perfect parameters for me. I will probably mix to 1.0255 and try again for Alk of 8ish. I think 35 ppt (1.026) gets you to 8.5 alk. The Calcium of 440 and Mag of 1425 is a little high for me, so that's why I'm doing a little lower. Plus, I use a little less salt too.

This is from the Manufacturer (don't know why they put 1.025 as 35 ppt?)
Salinity 35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium 440 ppm
Magnesium 1425 ppm
Alkalinity 8.5 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm

Mixed clear in 30 minutes. Turned off pump about 30 minutes later.Precipitated? (white dust settling and cloudy when mixing again). With Instant Ocean, one it mixed clear, it would stay clear even when storing without pump/powerhead on. A lot of times, I don't use the fresh mix right away. I'll try to keep a smaller powerhead on to see if it stays clear next time, but sucks if I need to do that to keep it clear. Or I just need to mix longer the first time.

Tested parameters two days later, which might have affected my readings compared to fresh batch testing. Also, I did scoop out about 2 gallons to replenish lost tank water after the swap, but I had it mixing for about 30 minutes before I removed water. That might affect the readings also.

18 gallon RODI
9 level cups of Salt (5 lb 7 oz weighed) Bucket Lot #28166
77F Room and Water temperature
Salinity 1.025
Alk 7.7-7.8 (Hanna Checker and Salifert)
Cal 425 (Salifert)
Mag 1350 (Salifert)
Potassium 430 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)
Strontium 10-16 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)
Iodide .01-.02 (Salifert, first time using this test, not sure if accurate)

Almost perfect parameters for me. I will probably mix to 1.0255 and try again for Alk of 8ish. I think 35 ppt (1.026) gets you to 8.5 alk. The Calcium of 440 and Mag of 1425 is a little high for me, so that's why I'm doing a little lower. Plus, I use a little less salt too.

This is from the Manufacturer (don't know why they put 1.025 as 35 ppt?)
Salinity 35 ppt (1.025 sg)
Calcium 440 ppm
Magnesium 1425 ppm
Alkalinity 8.5 dKH
Strontium 9 ppm
Potassium 400 ppm
Thanks for sharing man. I'll pick up a bucket this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, this more likely than not is due to the fact that Instant Ocean has rather low values of Calcium/alkalinity IIRC (although their parameters can vary wildly from batch to batch) so there's not much to precipitate out.

I noticed this cloudiness with Salinity salt as well. Of course it could be simply due to how they add stuff to it, as I recall with Salinity if my hand had salt on it and was wet I would heat, assuming this is from Calcium chloride.

I am using the Fritz and am about 1/3 into my first 200 gallon box. I was using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals before, but switched because I was getting a lot of brown precipitate out of my mix, having serious precipitation issues with my additives (I use the B-Ionic Two-Part and started cutting it 50% with RO/DI in my doser) and noticing coral stress during water changes (I dropped my water changes from 20% to 10% to cope with this). The Fritz takes longer to dissolve, but once it does, it seems to be quite stable. A word on my mixing:
  • HDPE 55 gal drum plumbed with a recirculating loop and a heater
  • Measure salinity in new mix until it stabilizes
  • Tumble new water for 24-48 hours before use
Instant Ocean would stabilize within 2 hours; I have had salinity rise with Fritz Reef Pro as long as 10 hours.
My corals do not seem to respond at all to water changes now. I am still cutting my additives, as it allows me to dose more accurately in small tanks, but not having precipitation problems now either.

Last edited:
I just switched myself. Mixed two 32 gallon brute so far and I'm loving it. I haven't seen my trash can this clean in awhile. Gosh that brown crap was disgusting. Took me an hour to scrub it down and razor the walls of that crud. No more reef crystals for me.
d7acf00c04b806bdc49b4ee4de6c6199.jpg

Hmm I've been getting brown yellow ish craps on my rock and sands. Wonder if they are from Reef Crystal.

Well it only does that in mixing container. Soi if you mixed it there it'll stay there once mixed and ready rc doesn't leave that crap in tank.

Where can you buy this locally? Finishing my last bucket of Aquavitro.
I bought my box from premium aquatics but there is a certain bar member that purchased a full pallet of them and offered a couple boxes to me. I don't know if this was a personal offer though so I'll let them contact you.

Crystal clear in 30 minutes, really makes you wonder if having "salt on demand" really is that useful anymore if in a half hour you can simply empty your 100g freshwater container (everyone has one right?) and have salt mixed up in no time.

Crystal clear in 30 minutes, really makes you wonder if having "salt on demand" really is that useful anymore if in a half hour you can simply empty your 100g freshwater container (everyone has one right?) and have salt mixed up in no time.
Crystal clear does not mean fully dissolved or parameters stable. For example, Instant Ocean has a massive alkalinity spike that takes at least 4-6 hours to come down. As I mentioned in my post, Fritz salinity continues to rise for some hours after initially dissolving. I only made the mistake of using freshly mixed saltwater once, when I was a newbie.

Crystal clear does not mean fully dissolved or parameters stable. For example, Instant Ocean has a massive alkalinity spike that takes at least 4-6 hours to come down. As I mentioned in my post, Fritz salinity continues to rise for some hours after initially dissolving. I only made the mistake of using freshly mixed saltwater once, when I was a newbie.
That's not been my experience. Not that I have an alk monitor but I've tested freshly mixed SW (reef crystals) and not noticed the alk being higher than expected. I guess I'm not quite sure how or why that would happen.

Back