Reef nutrition

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Tank is doing ok...looking very much forward to building a few rock structures in a couple weeks! Been putting it off for...years now...
Considering a tuxedo urchin to see if it has any effect on limiting the purple cloves...
Not much else new tho.
I would get one of the gyre pumps in a sec if it didn't have the cord in the water. I Hate that! Ecotech should rip off their form factor w the motor outside aspect and the super quiet drive tech. Would be awesome!

Last edited:
I think the problem with transferring energy through glass is that it's very inefficient in a traditional electrical sense (think electric toothbrush) so your "40 watt" pump might consume 300 watts to do so, Vortech sidesteps this by not using induction to power their motor, but uses magnetic coupling and they can get away with this due to how the propeller spins.

That said, I think I might like to come to the building workshop, although not sure I want to build anything since I don't know how big my tank will be... maybe a small structure just to get a feel of the process and how to do it on a large scale.

Did a Little Rock work as time was permitting. I removed the worst two rocks as far as aptasia were concerned awhile ago, and needed to rebuild. Used a few formerly dead pieces of rock. Sorry for the lighting, need to fix my controller so I can turn on all whites for pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 245
Yeah, these are pretty much coral centric pieces in that they have lots of mounting locations, but not really going to provide fish with much as far a hiding spots go

I busted out the saw for what I thought was 2-3 pieces, and went a little bit nuts. Wound up mounting 16 frags from the frag tank onto rock work in the display. Tried to keep most of it to rocks that I like how they are and would like to keep where they are at, however some may need to be moved.
I've been trying to get everything growing in the frag tank as well so that I won't have to try to pull stuff out of the display to frag it for swaps and dbtc etc... only for pruning (fingers crossed)
I try to get the coral in question to start encrusting onto a big plug or disc or whatever. And then eventually pop off the original to go in the display and keep the encrusted one in the frag tank to grow out future generations with much easier access. There have been a bunch of pieces in the frag tank waiting for the right time to be chopped up and put into the display, so I went for it. Pics to come.
Off the top of my head I added
Sunset monti from Vincent @Vhuang168 at the swap
Orange monti digi from BAR table at baymac... 2010?
Red monti setosa from @Geneva
Orange cyphastrea from legendary corals when they were at our swap
Orange leptastrea from neptunes
Orange leptoseris from Matt and @Ashalye at swap
War coral favia from aquatic collection
Space invader/Oakland A's chalice from geneva
Unknown chalice from aquatic collection
Purple stylophora from a swap
Unusual type of non lord acan from diablo corals at least a couple years ago
Red leptoseris from cali reef co
Fuzzy green psammacora, dbtc
From bill, @CookieJar
Well that was 13 at least. I did a few the other night as well.
Mounted the wanna sex you up mycedium, aqua exotic blue with red rimmed yellow eyes chalice, orange branching psammacora and a few other odds and ends. If I can just keep up with this tank instead of falling into the trap of "everything's good, time to let down my guard", it will be grown in nicely in 6 months or a year from now.

Made a couple additions recently. Added a pair of used mp40s on the back wall and upgraded the drives to the qd ones. Also put the big 8x8x4 marine pure ceramic block in my sump. Hioefully it will help process an extra ammonia the tank ever generates and help keep my nitrates down without completely eliminating them. Got a lot of fish and feed a lot...we will see. I plan on putting one more used mp40 I have sitting around on the back wall once I find another $75 to upgrade the last driver to qd. That way I'll have one in each corner and one between the overflows. Hoping to keep detritus stirred up off the bottom and keep flow random and well dispersed throughout the tank.

Busted out the saw again...made lots of frags. Stay tuned for some more Dbtc offerings!
I really need some new frag discs...and some xxl tiles too. Guess we better have a frag plug making event soon...

Back