High Tide Aquatics

Jepoy's 45 gallon beginner reef tank

I'm not home yet so I can't take a pic, but I did a quick google to find something similar and it looks just like in the image below. Again that isn't my tank [emoji4]

6bdd8514c2a42ae7165712c095f9fb0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, right......hermits at evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything with claws is evil.

That being said, I always had blackfooted trochus snails, and they would fling off hermits. It is amazing to watch. I had smaller hermits (zebra, scarlet, and some blue), but they would only get to the dying/sick snails. Otherwise I would see them getting flung off. Trochus are so self sustaining. They can easily flip themselves back over and fling things off. They also breed like nobody's business (which was bad, because I would get baby snails growing up inside pumps, skimmers, etc.

Anything with claws is evil.

That being said, I always had blackfooted trochus snails, and they would fling off hermits. It is amazing to watch. I had smaller hermits (zebra, scarlet, and some blue), but they would only get to the dying/sick snails. Otherwise I would see them getting flung off. Trochus are so self sustaining. They can easily flip themselves back over and fling things off. They also breed like nobody's business (which was bad, because I would get baby snails growing up inside pumps, skimmers, etc.

Pretty cool, I'd like to see a trochus fling off a hermit. I have seen a hermit crab jump from his shell to an empty shell, decide it wasn't his size, then jump back to his original shell. Some trippy stuff.

Went to Petco yesterday after work to pick up some equipment, took a glance at the poor fishies in their saltwater tanks and I saw one mandarin! She looked absolutely unhappy in one of those horrendous tanks. I wanted so bad to rescue her from that place but I'm not so sure how safe it would be to get a fish from petco. The only other fish in the tank with the mandarin was a wrasse that looked to have white stuff on it (I'm assuming ick). Does anyone have experience with buying fish from petco? Is it as bad as people say it is?

Went to Petco yesterday after work to pick up some equipment, took a glance at the poor fishies in their saltwater tanks and I saw one mandarin! She looked absolutely unhappy in one of those horrendous tanks. I wanted so bad to rescue her from that place but I'm not so sure how safe it would be to get a fish from petco. The only other fish in the tank with the mandarin was a wrasse that looked to have white stuff on it (I'm assuming ick). Does anyone have experience with buying fish from petco? Is it as bad as people say it is?

yes

Yea, ask them if you can see them feed it.

I'll do that, but I wonder how the folks there will react. I'm guessing that mandarin is not tank bred and therefore still eats pods. But if the mandarin somehow eats fish food I'm buying it right there and then including a QT setup! Lol

yea does he look skinny at all?

She looked okay, not that skinny.. but I'm guessing she's new there.

1cdbbac80efdb6ef8af8f2f22ac346c3.jpg

Finally a tank photo I can be proud of! Ugly brown algae has started to subside.. still a lot of green but not as bad as before. [emoji4]

Back