Our mission

Jason Fox Tour

euod

Supporting Member
I think this video documenting Jason Fox's tanks gave some great insights on basic techniques for reef: lighting, flow, feeding, supplements, qt, and maintenance.

You really don't need that much gadgets to run a great reef.

I don't mean to be disrespectful... but eh. Everyone has the look their going for, and apparently his is run just about everything under actinic light. You can see in the video when Jake "forgets" to turn the blue balance (or use his gel filter) (not sure if he mentioned something in the video, but I just jumped around). You can really see how with a filter it looks rather normal looking but the corals still are showing off their colors, but without it everything is bathed in that purple/blue glow. Just not my thing.

+1 on not liking to total "blue" look.
Yes, it makes corals pop, and I think it does help coral color up better over time.
And maybe it is more natural for deeper coral.
But I like a nice bright fairly-white tank.

Oh - And I like sand on the bottom also.
He had bare bottom, and yes, bare bottom is cleaner/easier, and arguably more natural.

And tangs! He had pacific and red sea variants in the same tank! Well I never!!!!!

actually I didn't pay that much attention to the tangs, he just kept saying "oh yeah I like those" whenever Jake mentioned anything :D

Man I'm glad I still had 2 - t5 bulbs to buy. Adding a little more actinic. Still gotta find a gyre. although my 6 powerheads do a bit of water moving

Yea, I know. Now that I have my lighting sorted out, it is time to get out of the 1970's and upgrade to a couple of gyres. The concern I have is making soup out of my critters.

Yea, I know. Now that I have my lighting sorted out, it is time to get out of the 1970's and upgrade to a couple of gyres. The concern I have is making soup out of my critters.
Not really, and for your size you need only 1 gyres. I only run 1 mp40 in my 90g and everything looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back