Jestersix

Jumping to the otherside

Hi everyone. I have been in the aquarium hobby for a few years now. FInally decided to setup a reef tank.

Thinking 12g long rimless

Welcome! Why not start with a nanocube? 12g long will be hard to maintain since you can’t really add a HOB or adding anything without destroying the clean looks of the 12g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome! Why not start with a nanocube? 12g long will be hard to maintain since you can’t really add a HOB or adding anything without destroying the clean looks of the 12g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really like the footprint 12g long. thats the main reason i want a 12g long.

Welcome.

The problem with 12g long is it would be harder to light evenly. You will waste a lot of light on the thinner width of the 12g.

Flow is also problematic in that tank form factor. I used to have a 20g long and it was still hard to have even flow. Good flow is pretty critical for reef tank.

Welcome, Teamteal. It's good to hear that you're taking a crack at reefing. I'm sure the community here will be a lot of help if you need advice.

-Kamran

a long 12g tank could be fun, you'll definitely want to stick with 'strip' lights (T5s or the longer LED fixtures) but the shallowness of the tank means you don't need to get anything particularly powerful. Pumps might look a bit obtrusive in the tank since it's rather thin, but you definitely can get something nice going.

Ooooh - nice! Our classroom frag tank (in progress as usual) is a 22g long and I think bookshelf tanks are beautiful because they look like huge tanks in miniature. You might want to check out Nano-Reef.com if you haven't, if only for ideas and to compare equipment options. It cracks me up though when I try to compare my tank to others', but they have a 22g reef with a 40g sump. We use a Current Orbit LED light and it is fantastic. Despite our lack of planning and care, the coral color is awesome. Also, it is not cheap, but if you want it to be an all-in-one, you can get a little box that fits across one short wall inside the tank to hold chemical media and all equipment except circulation pump.
Have you been into freshwater? Or saltwater fish?

Back