Our mission

iPhone Questions

MolaMola

Supporting Member
OK, I have a great opportunity to get an iPhone mostly paid for based on needs for school - control Apex and NanoBox lighting, view webcam, lead VR expeditions, hotspot when school wifi goes down, etc. Instead of being elated I am stressed out because I have to act today or tomorrow so I thought I would ask here since many of you are super techy.
I am SO not techy - my current old Android is only my second phone ever and first smartphone, for over a year it has been unable to download any apps, I cannot access Apex or view webcam from it, has no accelerometer, it combines unrelated texts, you get the picture. I am Mac everywhere else, so am going iPhone.
I currently have cheap pay-as-you-go T-Mobile (along with husband) which I am fine with for now, but am thinking of switching to Verizon, but it would be good to not have to switch this weekend. After wasting hours online seeing about various forms of "unlocked," went to Apple website that says if you get Verizon phone, you can also switch to T-Mobile, but NOT vice versa. I lack what seems to be common knowledge about phones and carriers.
So, I think it'll be 7 or 6S, although last night I was considering 8 or SE (students said SE because it is what I need and I am "used to a tiny phone"). They all have features I need = basic. I'm not a photographer or gamer, but 32GB seems small.
I think I will visit Apple Store (ugh) after event at Dick's to compare options in person, but being less confused going in would help. Any bits of advice or experience are welcome. If not, I will pick something and pretend it was a gift and be happy.

Go with a 7 at least it's water resistant so if you have wet hands you can use it taking pictures of your Reef :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it’s moslty paid for, with nominal $ to the next better model, go for the newest with most memory. 6S and SE might be ok for a bit but it sounds like you upgrade once in a long while. If so, go for the top you can get! :)

If you have to put money in, I’d suggest the 7 with 128gb. The 8 (64gb is enough) is nice but it depends on how much more $ you’d have to put in. Less than $100 more, save the brain effort and just get it ;)

Completely preference, but I’d also go for a bigger screen w/ the + model. It seems big at first but even my wife has had no second thoughts of going back to a smaller screen.

Can’t mention much about switching between carriers. I’d leave that to Apple/Verizon/T Mobile to confirm. I’ve had Verizon forever and haven’t seen a need to switch.

6 is water resistant as well, but yeah I’d go with 7 so the hardware will last longer. But if you have a small hand you will like the SE form factor but with hardware of 6.

And oh if you want to switch over to Verizon, look for their pay as you go plan as well, it’s way cheaper than the monthly plan.

If you have small hands and end up with the bigger screen, check out pop sockets... I’m definitely not cool enough to find out about these on my own but my niece introduced them and they’re actually quite handy, even if you don’t have tiny hands.

Would you take a iPhone 6 that's not cover by warranty and use it with water? I won't especially with salt water. The 7 and on has ip67 ratings while iPhone 6 does not.

Luckily, I'm going for the 8 and my proposal got accepted so odds are good. I am also not as careful as I should be about everything so that is good info for me. I once got my old phone wet when I let down my guard and flooded my super spy viewing thing - did not work properly for like a month.

iPhone 8 will be awesome :)
I'll highly recommend getting the Camera+ app as well, its worth 3$. Three basic features (crop, temperature & sharpness) of that app will make photos so much better with iphone

Luckily, I'm going for the 8 and my proposal got accepted so odds are good. I am also not as careful as I should be about everything so that is good info for me. I once got my old phone wet when I let down my guard and flooded my super spy viewing thing - did not work properly for like a month.

Welcome to the dark side. Don’t mind the naysayers ;)

I recommend the tech armor ballistic glass screen protector with a decent case. Other brands have chipped on me but the tech armor ones are solid. The film type screen protectors are garbage.

buy apple care too, I had my iphone7 screen cracked while the glass screen protector unscratched. and yes i was using a good case as well, i dropped the phone on number of times, until that perfect drop killed the screen.

Definitely got the Apple Care. Phone arrived today and I am super excited, though going camping without a service provider for it yet, so won't really be getting into it for awhile. Your advice was really helpful. Can't wait to get aqua stuff going on it!

Back