Jestersix

Peter's Garage Tank

Ok, got the ATO all hooked up, ran to the lfs and grabbed my first small bottle of Kalk. Did a 5 gallon water change and tested parameters:
KH - 8
Mag. - 1370
Calcium - 400
PH - 8.4
Salinity - 35
Mixed the first 5 gallons at only 1/2 tsp. per gallon, let it sit for 2 hours to settle and we are dosing. I will have to keep a close eye on the PH and will adjust strength accordingly. Did I miss anything?
After 6 gallons of Kalk @ 3/4tsp per gallon and 12ml of each 2-part we are now at:
PH - 8.45
Alk - 8
Cal. - 440
Hopefully the kalk will hold the parameters as I dont want to bring the PH any higher. Also adding 3ml of vinegar everyday to DT (to kill aiptasia one at a time).
I went into the weekend thinking we would pare down our coral inventory and brought 2 chalices and an Idaho Grape Monti to the lunch and gave away a Mohawk Zoa colony and another chalice, and some purple cloves to a fellow BAR member in Redwood City. Then we ended up adding more corals including a huge Miyagi tort, a large Lobo with 4 heads, a large Miami Orchid acro, couple of birdsnests, mushrooms, a toadstool, a Meteor Shower that is as large as an apple and all new chaeto. I'm exhausted.
Cheers! Mark & Peter

The sand needs a little help so I picked up a pair of White Sleeper Gobys today. I was watching them at the lfs and they seemed to just lay on the sandbed grabbing mouthfuls of sand and releasing it right back on the sandbed. It will be a nightmare if they go up into the water column to release the sand - fingers crossed.

Still trying to get the Kalk dialed in. Yesterday's parameters:
KH - 8
Cal. - 440
PH: Low - 8.35
High - 8.55
When the PH hit 8.55, I immediately dosed 30ml of vinegar and the ph came down to 8.44
I added 75ml of vinegar (15ml per gallon) to the Kalk bucket this afternoon. Well after an afternoon of reading up on Kalk and vinegar I found out I did it all wrong. I guess you are supposed to mix the Kalk and vinegar together, stir well, then add the mix to R/O and stir again. So I dumped out the Kalkwasser and made a new batch. I left the Kalk ratio at 3/4tsp per gallon and upped the vinegar to 45ml per gallon. I will give it a day or 3 and see how it levels out.
Morning update:
As of this morning the low PH is now 8.25 (this is the first day that the low has not been higher than the previous days low) Looks like we are heading in the right direction.
Cheers!

Parameters seem to be on course. 36 hours in and Nitrates have dropped to 0, calcium is holding at 440, and the PH is pulling back a little from the 8.55 on Friday. Yesterdays PH range was L-8.26 H-8.46 and this morning's low was 8.21 Overall I am not noticing any issues with the vinegar (tank has been dosed approx. 120ml of 5% distilled vinegar in 36 hours). In fact the tank looks great! The cyano on the sandbed has almost disappeared and the whole tank kinda looks cleaner. No sign of any blooms.Will continue monitoring and adjust as needed.
Cheers! Mark

You just gotta watch the bacteria from carbon dosing takes time to build up. You'll notice a pink slime if you over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Today's addition to the cryptic. 2 Brittle Stars.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Just make sure that you don't put those green brittles in with fish. Those are known fish eaters.
They get their own tank - forever. The LFS was really rough trying to get the big one out with a net, after a bit I couldn't watch anymore and just stuck my hand in and grabbed it. I think they give him the heebie-jeebies.

PH is creeping up. Today's range was 8.25-8.45, alk-7, calcium 420. In an effort to lower PH range to 8.1-8.3 with alk. @ 8 and calcium at 450, I am ramping up my Kalk ratio to:
1tsp Kalk and 100ml vinegar to 1 gallon R/O.
Tank is looking great otherwise with no blooms or noticeable issues.

Been running Kalk for a month now. Parameters are:
DKH - 10
Calcium - 520
PH range 8.21-8.39
I think this is good?
Tank is getting approx. 1 1/4tsp of Kalk and 100ml of vinegar a day.
Corals look good and I still see no signs of a bloom.
Cheers! Mark

Numbers are a little on the high side but look good. Make sure your nutrient levels are not 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just mixed more Kalk and took out a 1/4tsp. of kalk per gallon and added 15ml of vinegar per gallon.
Question on 0 nutrients: I am feeding the reef what I think is alot so I should be okay if I am showing little to no nitrate/phophate?

As long as you're not bottoming out and don't skip on your feedings you should be okay. Just watch the health of your sps, especially their tips.

Back