Kessil

First Tank!

mark also helped me out with a net, now fishies dont have to be man handled.

Speaking of man handeling fish, that reminded me of when I first got my eel and I tried to transfer him into the tank. I got his head in the net, mostly just to make sure I didn’t get bit and then had to grab the other 18” or so with my other hand to get him in.

New additions to the tank today!
Thank you @Kim Pattinson the fish are beautiful!

b94d3cb247da7ff2f428324b5d3b5c9a.jpg

b29384d27bdf3d244d5e1c3c5157ba9a.jpg

6d2ff21035bfca8e80946f8082e440a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yey! You went with the pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yey! You went with the pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I didn't want one to be lonely. Plus Kim had so many wonderful clowns to choose from. Was hard to just pick one. So my gf chose one and I chose another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question.
so i had previously been ghost feeding lightly just to keep the bacteria fed. and than when i got some corals i tested out some coral food on them. but now that i got fishies i tried feeding them (didnt seem to eat anything).
back to the question. now i got some redish algae growing, probably from my inexperienced over feeding. should i invest in more clean up crew? since i currently only have 1 Nassarius snail, 1 turban snail, Cerith Snail and one emerald crab.

Pics? Sounds like Cyanobacteria to me. It appears in tanks of every kind. When I get it, I just vacuum it out with water changes. Eventually it goes away. As for more clean up crew, I would get more. Maybe 3 more nassarius, and 4 or so more ceriths/trochus/astreas. That's what I would do, let's see what everyone else thinks

tried taking a picture but cant really see anything in it =[
i did take a turkey baster and squirt water at it and it blew off the rocks. so maybe next time ill try sucking it up instead.

Yep, sounds like Cyanobacteria. It's all slimy looking and grosses me out lol. I'm not sure what causes it, but low nutrient, as well as high nutrient tanks get it, or so I've heard. My theory is it shows up when things are unbalanced, maybe like the carbon, nitrate, phosphate ratio being off. I read about that ratio a while ago, can't remember exactly how it works

I've read that some blue legged hermits eat it, but I've never encountered anything eating it myself. As for it being good or bad, it creates oxygen, which I would think would be good for fish, maybe bad for nearby corals, and I've read it releases toxins, but I've never had any ill effects from having it other than it covering stuff and looking gross

i was reading that a guy removed it by taking the rocks out and scrubbing them. i might try this, but dont know what to do with the few corals attached to it. haha

another question.
i have a green hammer coral and on the tip of it, where the hammer part is. instead of it being solidly green it is faded in a few spots, what is this and is it normal?

Back