Reef nutrition

Did I trip up the protein skimmer?

L/B Block

Supporting Member
welcome back y’all and thanks Denzil for getting the forum up and running.

So my question is this-
I incidentally both cleaned out the skimmer Sunday after a year of operation and...split the hose running from the intake pipe to a t barb connected to a media container with CO2 absorbent media. However since then -no skim, slime on the walls, no foam-nada.

Not sure if needs a few extra days running or something else I should be looking at.

Thanks
LB

Check the air hose, might be clogged and not sucking air, a little freshwater down the hose will clear salt build upat the venturi

Not sure but if you significantly restrict the air flow by adding the scrubber it would change the ability to produce skimmate.

Did you try unplugging the scrubber and going back to previous setup to see if that fixes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely on my to-do list.
In theory it should be the same amount of air-
It has two intakes-one from the intake pipe and the other from the scrubber. I know it’s coming in from the scrubber as I had to fish out a couple of those pellets from the skimmer.

Question I have is whether with the t-it’s also pulling in water via leak via t.
Not sure but if you significantly restrict the air flow by adding the scrubber it would change the ability to produce skimmate.

Did you try unplugging the scrubber and going back to previous setup to see if that fixes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
in

Check the air hose, might be clogged and not sucking air, a little freshwater down the hose will clear salt build upat the venturi
Wil check although that it was working before I mucked with it is leading me to believe it’s my mucking that is causing the issue

I realized I hit double whammy jackpot on this.
1) water was seeping into the t junction. I have suspicion that the water was probably hampering water flow.
2) the diameters of the openings of the barbs. I thought they were 1/4th- which both together should have been more than the 3/8” tubing in terms of airflow. However they were 1/8th. So not quite.

So together-who knows the effective airflow was -but obviously insufficient.

I’ll put the skimmer back in order tomorrow after I get some new hose and found a y juncture quick connect that I can hook later this week.

Water change tomorrow just to avoid any ammonia toxicity build up.

Thanks all.

LB

It would help if I had reassembled the skimmer correctly. Didn’t realize the pump has dislodged from the intake pipe. Fixing it got the skimmer up and running in a big hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back