Reef nutrition

Power outage...

Klems

Supporting Member
Just lost power and don't have a battery backup setup....if I just manually move the water in the tank for a few minutes every ten or so minutes will that be ok? What else can / should I do?

If it’s only a couple hours, it shouldn’t be much of an issue. Yes, manually stirring is a good idea. After a few hours the temp can drop and oxygen levels can decrease. I have had it go out many times for several hours without incident. Although I now have a large (VERY LOUD) generator that will run the entire tank. It has come in handy a few times with overnight outages. My neighbors would probably disagree though. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, just stir vigorously once in awhile (chop up some water for air maybe). But you would probably be fine even if you didn't get to it.

I got an IceCap battery backup for my gyre, which runs it at 30% power on a power outage. Funny thing is, I normally run it at 20% power. These things are fairly inexpensive, and help out in the even of a longer blackout.

@Kmooresf: what generator do you have? I want a generator just in case.

Grab a straw and blow bubbles? Gotta break the water surface, so splash the surface more than stirring the deeper waters. I have one of those battery air pumps too, as well as eco tech battery backup on my mp40s.

Good luck. Hope power comes back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grab a straw and blow bubbles? Gotta break the water surface, so splash the surface more than stirring the deeper waters. I have one of those battery air pumps too, as well as eco tech battery backup on my mp40s.

Good luck. Hope power comes back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you blow bubbles, dont you raise co2 and send your ph plummeting???

Back