got ethical husbandry?

Green Nepthea

Forum,
I have this large japanese Nepthea. Its really cool color, but it's way too big for me now.
Am thinking of donating most of it to the club. Anyone know if fraging it will survive and successful?
Am trying to coordinate with @Coral reefer to cut a big mummy eye chalic I have and also donate it to the club, if the club is intersted in the Nepthea and we think it can survive cutting it I will bring it also to mike and maybe we have both the chalice and the Nepthea heal before the farmers market for distribution.
This time am deligating mike with the distribution since it's hard for me to know who is club supporter and who is not..
Hopefully we can propagate both coral over time and spread it more and more.

Btw both pieces are larger than they look in the pictures, they both did really well in my system, they were very small frags less than a year ago....
52dc8edc3ddc3c904bd7038f9312a234.jpg
4fd7828097763977fe42d26ab5d4f200.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum,
I have this large japanese Nepthea. Its really cool color, but it's way too big for me now.
Am thinking of donating most of it to the club. Anyone know if fraging it will survive and successful?
Am trying to coordinate with @Coral reefer to cut a big mummy eye chalic I have and also donate it to the club, if the club is intersted in the Nepthea and we think it can survive cutting it I will bring it also to mike and maybe we have both the chalice and the Nepthea heal before the farmers market for distribution.
This time am deligating mike with the distribution since it's hard for me to know who is club supporter and who is not..
Hopefully we can propagate both coral over time and spread it more and more.

Btw both pieces are larger than they look in the pictures, they both did really well in my system, they were very small frags less than a year ago....
52dc8edc3ddc3c904bd7038f9312a234.jpg
4fd7828097763977fe42d26ab5d4f200.jpg

A green nepthea has been part of the DBTC. I got mine from @RandyC, so he can give some advice here...

A green nepthea has been part of the DBTC. I got mine from @RandyC, so he can give some advice here...
Oh yeh someone told me while back, the frag I got from Neptune aquatics was his...
Ok so is there interst in it or not really?
And am gonna guess it can be dragged successfully look like..

Oh yeh someone told me while back, the frag I got from Neptune aquatics was his...
Ok so is there interst in it or not really?
And am gonna guess it can be dragged successfully look like..

There's definitely club interest in the nepthea I would think based on past activity... question is I think whether a new DBTC tracker attributed to you should be created or add to the one already there... ?

@Wlachnit @Coral reefer

I will try to pass on more coral. I have couppenof giant sps colonies I want to cut in half and regrow them.
I enjoy growing coral more than looking st a big one cause I can try diffrent things and measure growth speed and such..

If you’re sure it’s the same piece from the thread you can take part in that chain. If you’re not sure then you can start your own.
Not 100% sure, when I posted its pic on my build thread someone called yippee recognized it and pm me saying this was from him...he gave me a feature of the frag that matched well...
Rob from Neptune once told me these japanese Nepthea are not very common and do well which indeed it did really well and its neon color and branches were just gorgeous.....

Last edited:
Nice looking nepthea. After seeing @treylane 's tank last week, I am inspired to mix in some softies to my tank. If you start a DBTC, I would like to grow this out. The chalice looks similar to space invader chalice that I have.

Sorry sorry the chalic is space invader not mummy eyes. The mummy eyes and raja rampage are not ready yet. But I will consider them next when they are bigger..

Last edited:
If you want a large size kenya tree, I got one for you! :)
Oh man I do not like these ha ha. They are like weed to me..even this Nepthea I was worried of ot going everywhere so I kept it isolated on sand without access to any rock or surface ha

Oh man I do not like these ha ha. They are like weed to me..even this Nepthea I was worried of ot going everywhere so I kept it isolated on sand without access to any rock or surface ha

The nephthea is slow grow for me... hardy... but slow. the kenya tree however, fine one day, prolific the next. they do look nice though.

almost tempted to create kenya tree \ nephthea species only tank... My pest tank is by far one of my more favorite tanks... near 0-touch maintenance and indestructible at that

The nephthea is slow grow for me... hardy... but slow. the kenya tree however, fine one day, prolific the next. they do look nice though.

almost tempted to create kenya tree \ nephthea species only tank... My pest tank is by far one of my more favorite tanks... near 0-touch maintenance and indestructible at that
Man am not sure I can say the Nepthea is slow grower. It went from 2 inches one stem to bit smaller than football size with many branches...it was scary to me how fast it grew and I was worried it start attaching to rocks or overflow box like in kenya trees and I loose precious real estate lol

That being said this thing under actinic or royal blu+white mix looks mesmerizing neon green...its almost glowing..

Last edited:
Man am not sure I can say the Nepthea is slow grower. It went from 2 inches one stem to bit smaller than football size with many branches...it was scary to me how fast it grew and I was worried it start attached to rocks or overflow box like in kenya trees and I loose precious real estate lol

That being said this thing under actinic or royal blu+white mix looks mesmerizing neon green...its almost glowing..

Mine has been really slow across 2 diff tanks. That said it recovered from just being nubs

Mine has been really slow across 2 diff tanks. That said it recovered from just being nubs
I think they benifit from iodine and strontium which I dose a bit for my blue tip sps's.
Also I noticed they like strong flow which suprised me cause I thought this soft coral will like slow and gentel flow ...nope..it will extend like a forest when its in the middle of strong flow...

Hey Ofzakaria, thanks for offering the corals. That's very generous of you.
I'd like a frag of the nepthea whenever you have it available.

Hey Ofzakaria, thanks for offering the corals. That's very generous of you.
I'd like a frag of the nepthea whenever you have it available.
My plesure,
Am sorry but I am not doing distribution. Mike will own that. He will chose the platform and the users for both pieces..

Back