High Tide Aquatics

Tank Evaporation

Hi Guys,

How often are you guys refilling the tank? I have a 65 gallon rimless and I'm probably topping off 5-8 gallons a week. Is this normal?
As long as your salinity is correct and your ATO is accurate i wouldwoild not care about how much you need to top off. It will depend on your environment.
Am very paranoid of salinity and want to keep it rock solid to control my paramaters. In my 170g main system I go through 25g a week of fresh water with salinity solid around 35ppt -+1.
Important thing is to have a reliable salinity measurment regimen or prob..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I lose more in the winter than summer time, mostly because the temperature differential between tank and air tends to allow greater evaporation rates... or at least seems that way. In the summer it never gets "hot" like some people so don't need cooling fans

So the physics heavily simplified:
Cold air can hold very little water, so gets very dry in terms of absolute humidity.
As air warms in your house or near tank, the amount it can hold goes way up, so relative humidity drops.
Because of the very low relative humidity, the evaporation rate really increases.
So it evaporates faster in the winter.

Which is doubly bad because at 8,000 BTU/gallon evaporated, really impacts heater electricity use.

Mine was a little over a gallon a day. The footprint was 48”x30” and it was rimless. It’s far drier here in Colorado so I’m curious what my evaporation will be like here. I do have a cover planned for the next build though. I expect that will cut down on the evaporation considerably.

Back