got ethical husbandry?

Slack?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I don't know whether I have over-stepped or not, but I spend all day using Slack for work and it would be cool to chat with some of you in real time there...

So I created a Slack group for us. If you're interested, follow the invite link:

I don't think it's one-or-the-other. There are some things that work better on a forum (tank journals, tracking DBTC, to name a few) and other things work better in slack (urgent questions, and less formal updates)

I can certainly see the appeal, stuck here at home and all.

But it is hard to maintain critical mass in forums. The questions do help on that.
So in general, most of us tend to push back against facebook/slack/whatever groups.

Really urgent questions would be better on Slack, but only if everyone was up and running there, which really will not happen.

Plus control and ownership can become big problems long term, if the original person who starts things moves on.

At any rate, not adamantly against it, but not really something I would favor.

If you want immediate answers to pressing questions, you have to just make friends with knowledgeable people so they don’t mind you interrupting them by directly messaging them. When I have time I check this BAR website pretty frequently, when I don’t have time I don’t check and generally don’t want to be bothered. So I wouldn’t use a BAR Slack, even though I use similar systems (Teams, Skype) for work.

I’ll go out on a limb and say most experienced reefers also wouldn’t want to use it for it’s intended purpose- notifying people immediately every time someone has a question. If it isn’t so urgent and can wait, we already have this forum and direct messaging on the forum for that. And if most experienced reefers aren’t on there, who is giving the advice? I just don’t see a non-annoying use case personally.

Also as mentioned it diverts the conversations from the site, and I like to see those conversations even if I don’t have anything to add, so I’d feel a loss there.

If you want immediate answers to pressing questions, you have to just make friends with knowledgeable people so they don’t mind you interrupting them by directly messaging them. When I have time I check this BAR website pretty frequently, when I don’t have time I don’t check and generally don’t want to be bothered. So I wouldn’t use a BAR Slack, even though I use similar systems (Teams, Skype) for work.

I’ll go out on a limb and say most experienced reefers also wouldn’t want to use it for it’s intended purpose- notifying people immediately every time someone has a question. If it isn’t so urgent and can wait, we already have this forum and direct messaging on the forum for that. And if most experienced reefers aren’t on there, who is giving the advice? I just don’t see a non-annoying use case personally.

Also as mentioned it diverts the conversations from the site, and I like to see those conversations even if I don’t have anything to add, so I’d feel a loss there.
I completely agree. It’s difficult to maintain the kind of environment that we have fostered here. So often these local clubs end up becoming just a reefing Craig’s list. Any amount of splitting and dividing our population (I think) would be bad for the club.

In emergencies I, personally, would be posting in multiple forums. The size of the National forums typically yields good response rates at almost any time of day or night.

Reactions: JVU
Back