High Tide Aquatics

Tapatalk Users - BAR Forum is no longer on Tapatalk

(All below is carefully public information)

Funny ... this is EXACTLY my day job. I have been working on the hardware video/image codecs at apple for over 10 years now.
Trust me, HEVC is so much better than JPEG. You do want to use it.
More than just better compression. You have far fewer blocking artifacts, you can get deeper color, and so on.
HEIC/HEIF is a container format. JPEG/HEVC are underlying image compression formats.

(All below is carefully public information)

Funny ... this is EXACTLY my day job. I have been working on the hardware video/image codecs at apple for over 10 years now.
Trust me, HEVC is so much better than JPEG. You do want to use it.
More than just better compression. You have far fewer blocking artifacts, you can get deeper color, and so on.
HEIC/HEIF is a container format. JPEG/HEVC are underlying image compression formats.

I wish the Android/windows/Microsoft folks would adopt this standard. I think if that happened we would see the standard utilized more and as a result everyone would support it. This is exactly like the VHS vs BetaMax war over years ago. Didn't matter that betamax was superior if it didn't get buy off.

Technically it’s not. It was a proprietary format developed by the Motion Pictures Expert Group (mpeg), but Apple has been the only OS so far that has adopted it as a platform standard.
Apple did not "invent" it, correct. The "adopted" it.
It is not really proprietary, but more about licensing patent rights.
People working on these standards, like mpeg, do not work directly for mpeg.
They work for other companies and contribute to the standard, pool patents, and so on.

This conversation is very interesting to me because one my other hobbies is video editing in Final Cut Pro. I really need to take a class on it cause it's got a LOT of features.

I wish the Android/windows/Microsoft folks would adopt this standard. I think if that happened we would see the standard utilized more and as a result everyone would support it. This is exactly like the VHS vs BetaMax war over years ago. Didn't matter that betamax was superior if it didn't get buy off.
Yes, but it is not really old vs new.
There is old technology - JPEG. Which is going obsolete no matter what.
But there are two new technologies competing. H264/HEVC ..vs.. VP9/AV1
I wish I could share more about that battle.

I’m sure it’s intriguing to those in the middle of it, and I certainly have been known to geek out about things that interest me, but 99% of folks just want things to “just work”. I’d gladly give up some imperceptible shade of black or an extra 25% of storage to be able to easily work with and share images. It would be nice if all the major players just supported all the major standards, and then use whatever they want for internal use in their devices.

Last edited:
They'll get there. Google has been pushing webp for a good long time and Apple just recently gave in and added support for it in Safari.

The best thing is that Internet Explorer is finally dying. I hated how most the web used activeX and IE specific technology and would not render properly in other browsers. Especially SAAS stuff.

The best thing is that Internet Explorer is finally dying. I hated how most the web used activeX and IE specific technology and would not render properly in other browsers. Especially SAAS stuff.

Please do not speak those words. I vomited a little. ;)

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this post belong solely to me and are not necessarily those of BAR.

have you guys ever had to test Netflix on IE ?

Yeah, we have a team that deals with that. Fortunately I’m far, far removed from that.

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in this post belong solely to me and are not necessarily those of BAR.

I will disable Tapatalk integration tomorrow afternoon. Although I don’t know exactly what will happen, I will test it from iOS after I make the change.

I will post a 30 minute warning here and then again after it is done and I know the impact.

I will disable Tapatalk integration tomorrow afternoon. Although I don’t know exactly what will happen, I will test it from iOS after I make the change.

I will post a 30 minute warning here and then again after it is done and I know the impact.
So everyone should stock up on toilet paper now

It has been disabled and this is what I get when trying to use Tapatalk

EE5B8ADF-1A33-4550-8E4D-9C7517998B0E.png

@Wlachnit
Might want to change announcement message to tapetalk HAS been deleted.

@svreef
Can you change tapetalk's error message please. It is confusing.
Kidding ... but it will be "interesting" to see the complaints.

Back