Kessil

Canceled- Automation discussion and Reef Nutrition 8/28/2021

Will you attend?

• Total voters
I wonder what the feasibility of using a cheaper dosing pump is for this purpose? I have a couple bubble magus ones sitting around...

I should have looked more closely at the "cost" post, because it doesn't include the 450.00 doser that's needed. This will be a 600-700 dollar affair. I can't speak for all but this is a "nice to have", and for many out of financial feasibility. I can think of other uses where 600-700 dollars might be more beneficial.

I should have looked more closely at the "cost" post, because it doesn't include the 450.00 doser that's needed. This will be a 600-700 dollar affair. I can't speak for all but this is a "nice to have", and for many out of financial feasibility. I can think of other uses where 600-700 dollars might be more beneficial.
So you’re not coming?

There's lots of cool things in the hobby that are out of financial feasibility for some people, but there's always gearheads and DIY types who love things like this. Fortunately, if you're not interested/have better uses for the build cost, you don't have to attend; and those who are, can.

There's lots of cool things in the hobby that are out of financial feasibility for some people, but there's always gearheads and DIY types who love things like this. Fortunately, if you're not interested/have better uses for the build cost, you don't have to attend; and those who are, can.

That’s not at all my point. My point was to make this more affordable to the avarage reefer.

That’s not at all my point. My point was to make this more affordable to the avarage reefer.
We are not setting the price for this, so we don’t have the power to make this more affordable. Those estimates are just what the parts cost. Some folks are looking for less expensive dosers that might do the job and fit in the fridge, see above posts.

You mean like how Mike and Baykes ID'd alternate dosers in the posts before yours, and GHL was kind enough to offer a 15% discount on their specific doser for this project?

There are cheaper auto-feeder options for the average reefer. This is a cool build and, even though I'm not likely to build one myself, I'm looking forward to checking it out to get ideas for future DIYs.

You mean like how Mike and Baykes ID'd alternate dosers in the posts before yours

I’d use the term “suggested”. It remains unknown if the alternative dosers will stand up to the rigors of a fridge environment.

Also, what other automatic feeding sollutions are there for food that must be refrigerated. I haven’t come across any.

I’d use the term “suggested”. It remains unknown if the alternative dosers will stand up to the rigors of a fridge environment.

Also, what other automatic feeding sollutions are there for food that must be refrigerated. I haven’t come across any.
To my knowledge there wasn't any a priori knowledge about how well the GHL doser would work in a fridge environment, and this post from 2010 seems to indicate that a Bubble Magus doser worked for a very similar project as well. So no, I'd still use "ID'd".

I didn't say there were cheaper refrigerated auto-feeding options, I said there were cheaper auto-feeding options that would work for the average reefer. Refrigeration is going to have additional costs no matter how you slice it, and this method—a fridge and a pump—is about as simple and cheap as you're going to be able to get it.

I've tested quite peristaltic heads direct from the factory when I was prototyping a unit. I tried pretty much every major factory, most are on units you see in production today. None had an issue. I wouldn't expect them to either.

Cheaper is to get a single wine bottle cooler and and single head doser.

There's some other ideas in this NPS feeding thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760416

Last edited:
Folks, my goal here is to provide a solution that I found works very well in keeping one's tank healthy for the fish and the corals. I have been in this hobby since the early 90s and the opportunity to automate is at an all time high. You should have seen my first "doser" in 1993 LOL.

Can we keep this thread focused on the goal and the results of a DIY workshop? Discussion is good, but ...

Thanks...

To my knowledge there wasn't any a priori knowledge about how well the GHL doser would work in a fridge environment, and this post from 2010 seems to indicate that a Bubble Magus doser worked for a very similar project as well. So no, I'd still use "ID'd".

I didn't say there were cheaper refrigerated auto-feeding options, I said there were cheaper auto-feeding options that would work for the average reefer. Refrigeration is going to have additional costs no matter how you slice it, and this method—a fridge and a pump—is about as simple and cheap as you're going to be able to get it.

Folks, my goal here is to provide a solution that I found works very well in keeping one's tank healthy for the fish and the corals. I have been in this hobby since the early 90s and the opportunity to automate is at an all time high. You should have seen my first "doser" in 1993 LOL.

Can we keep this thread focused on the goal and the results? Discussion is good, but ...

I think it's very focused. We are discussing alternative parts that we can make this more affordable to the average reefer. I think your system is great except that the fridge/doser are unnecessarily expensive. I think we can find alternatives to drive the price down while keeping functionality the same.

Can we keep this thread focused on the goal and the results of a DIY workshop? Discussion is good, but ...

Thanks...

Can do. Thanks again for agreeing to do this for the club, and—personally—I'd *love* to see that doser!

I think it's very focused. We are discussing alternative parts that we can make this more affordable to the average reefer.
@TurboReef Let's table that discussion in this thread until after the workshop. Or, if you're interested, start another thread in the 'equipment' subforum and see if you can put together builds/parts lists and see what cost you can get it down to.

I've tested quite peristaltic heads direct from the factory when I was prototyping a unit. I tried pretty much every major factory, most are on units you see in production today. None had an issue. I wouldn't expect them to either.

Cheaper is to get a single wine bottle cooler and and single head doser.

That's a great idea. I am going to look into a wine cooler fridge. What do you think of the italian made / medical grade BRS dosing units?

With all due respect...this thread is about who wants to come to the workshop and what parts are needed to build it. Alternative discussions and such are excellent, but can we please put it in another discussion thread...
Made that suggestion above and I'll enforce it. Thanks again, Scott.

Thanks...
Thanks for your time and willingness to share Scott, I think several of us are quite excited about this. Please try to just ignore the one guy that can’t help but be a jerk constantly. There is actually a very handy button for doing just that.

Thanks for your time and willingness to share Scott, I think several of us are quite excited about this. Please try to just ignore the one guy that can’t help but be a jerk constantly. There is actually a very handy button for doing just that.
Agreed! If anything, I am looking forward more to checking out the GHL doser in person and meeting more fellow fish nerds!

So Just a reminder folks, Scott offered to do this demo for our club, he has a particular design that works and is happy to show how it works. This thread is in Events & Announcements because it's exactly that, an event that iis being announced. If you would like to brainstorm ideas on how to build a better mousetrap then I suggest starting a topic in the DIY forum, as this topic is not about how to make this talk "better"

As a bonus for you all, I have one coral growing out of control and needs some trimming. It is a very easy sps. If you are interested, let me know. Happy to give some free frags...i grew this from a little 1.5" piece over the last couple years.

June 2021 Birdsnest.jpeg

Back