Cali Kid Corals

Advice to cut rock-hard coral underwater?

JVU

President
BOD
I have this stylophora colony that has grown really densely and thickly. When I recently went to trim it back significantly I was really surprised how difficult it is to cut. I could cut some smaller branches with a lot of effort, but couldn’t even make a dent in the thicker arms much less the base. It is harder than normal live rock, and much harder than any other hard coral I’ve fragged before. Think of trying to cut through rock inside the tank basically.

I’ve tried regular bone cutters, the sharper Rio Precision Coral Clipper, Maxspect Coral Hand Saw. The coral is on a large cemented-together decorative rock structure that I basically can’t take out of the tank without causing widespread damage to other corals. I thought about going at it with a hammer/chisel but I’m worried it will break the rock (or the tank) before it breaks off the coral.

Any other ideas from you guys? What I would like is some kind of powered saw that is ok being used underwater and also won’t leak something toxic into the water. I have a Dremel with diamond blades and the flex shaft extension, but I’m not sure if that is safe to use in the tank. Seems like there should be underwater safe power tools but I’m clueless about them.

You'd have to use air tools I think and they'd likely get ruined. Or you'd have to oil it up real well after, then what about when you want to use it again?

What about a bigger bone cutter? More leverage is more power. A garden lopper might work if you sharpen it up real good. You can get a cheap one at harbor freight and try it

Have you tried something like this? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-large-curved-blade-sps-coral-cutter.html

Could you drain the tank to expose the coral, use the Dremel to cut what you need, then fill the tank back up?
I haven’t tried that cutter tool, I could see having more leverage might help and maybe it’s sharper. Maybe it would work better but I’m kinda doubtful given how the coral just laughs off what I’ve tried.

Partial drain then dremel is a good idea. Pain in the bottom but might be the best way. I wonder what the best bit is and how many I’ll go through.

I haven’t tried that cutter tool, I could see having more leverage might help and maybe it’s sharper. Maybe it would work better but I’m kinda doubtful given how the coral just laughs off what I’ve tried.

Partial drain then dremel is a good idea. Pain in the bottom but might be the best way. I wonder what the best bit is and how many I’ll go through.
If you’re going to go with the dremel route, pick up a dremel 1.5” ez lock diamond cutting wheel. I’ve cut through rocks with it and it’s relatively durable.

I used this sometime…

A5363E6B-3A16-4456-8071-B4ECB0C7210A.jpeg

I was doing that for a long long time and getting almost nowhere with the tools I tried
Dang. You must be growing some stout coral, have a bad bone cutter or can't position hand well to get your wheatie strength into it. This will cut through ANYTHING you can put at it:

Just de-oil before use (dawn soap) and desalt after. You will then own the best wire cutters on earth.

If you go dremel, use a diamond disk. The others will shed dust all over your tank and who knows what is in those discs.

If you go air tools, please put it on video and post. I am sure only a few microbubbles will come out of the tool :cool:

I used this sometime…

View attachment 40751
I have this saw. Sawed away for like 20 min until my arms were too tired to continue and made maybe 1 mm indent. I’ve used this to cut other thick coral pretty easily before. The reason I kept sawing with it when it obviously wasn’t working was because I couldn’t believe it wasn’t.

Last edited:
Dang. You must be growing some stout coral, have a bad bone cutter or can't position hand well to get your wheatie strength into it. This will cut through ANYTHING you can put at it:

Just de-oil before use (dawn soap) and desalt after. You will then own the best wire cutters on earth.

If you go dremel, use a diamond disk. The others will shed dust all over your tank and who knows what is in those discs.

If you go air tools, please put it on video and post. I am sure only a few microbubbles will come out of the tool :cool:
Very stout. I can get to the coral ok and put good strength into it.

Bolt cutter is an idea, since they have ridiculous leverage. I worry about using tools with oil and that aren’t saltwater proof in my tank, but maybe I worry too much.

Bolt cutter is an idea, since they have ridiculous leverage. I worry about using tools with oil and that aren’t saltwater proof in my tank, but maybe I worry too much.
@Thales uses rusty pliars... :D Not sure if he worries about the oil at the start.

I have used non-SS tools before, just not ones covered in grease. A new one will just have a little oil on it so it doesn't rust before you buy it. Would come right off with soap. I would not take one out of a mechanics tool box though. Took be days to clean off the grease from my dads tools (mechanic). None had any rust though, lol.

Have you tried calling one of your orthopedic surgeon friends? They have the real bone cutters, and the strength to use them.

Stylos are tough. Drain and dremmel is a for sure way that won't send you to one of your peers for a shoulder mri.

I've used the dremel extension and it works for a day, then rust binds the tool up so treat it as a single use.

Back