Cali Kid Corals

Advice to cut rock-hard coral underwater?

Would it be possible to glue a layer of coral putty on the parts you want trimmed and let it die off enough that it's easy(ier) to remove?

I have used a straight handsaw with a variety of blades and found that something with bigger teeth got more done than a diamoned blade. It does take time though.

Never tired it, but this looks like it may have some potential.

Mini Hand Saw Model Craft Tools Modelling Knife Hobby DIY Razor Saw Hacksaw Tool Kit with 9 Pieces Craft Blades for Hand Cutting Tree Limbs and Branches
https://a.co/d/4q3DpMh

It’ll probably rust, but nothing wrong with a little ferric oxide, no? ;)

If I could somehow make the stylo colony look like a catalytic converter I’m sure I could get someone to sawzall it off for me in 20 seconds
Hahahahahahahaha! Awesome.

You need to start a competition for this solution. Winner gets some frags.
G

Instead of trying to cut it with precision, could you focus on its brittleness? Can you use a very long screwdriver or the like, and tap the coral (not the rock) with a hammer? Two people, no dangerous bashing that could break your tank, but fracture the stylo? Or, partially drain tank and drill some holes with long diamond bit to weaken it enough to cut or break?

Instead of trying to cut it with precision, could you focus on its brittleness? Can you use a very long screwdriver or the like, and tap the coral (not the rock) with a hammer? Two people, no dangerous bashing that could break your tank, but fracture the stylo? Or, partially drain tank and drill some holes with long diamond bit to weaken it enough to cut or break?
Drain and drill might work well to weaken it. The stylo base is very broad and hard, harder than the live rock it’s firmly attached to.

I’ve been working every day so haven’t had time to try any of these ideas yet. But it’s been interesting and informative!

Back