Cali Kid Corals

Hi New Sucker from East Bay

Never thought about this but just ordered one.... I also got a refractometer from a neighbor that brews wine and worked in the wine industry and a great source as he is a master in his craft and although is not a reefer is a god resource. I also added the Flipper Nano no sale though. Need test kits and those Hanna ones have good discounts. Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite

Never thought about this but just ordered one.... I also got a refractometer from a neighbor that brews wine and worked in the wine industry and a great source as he is a master in his craft and although is not a reefer is a god resource. I also added the Flipper Nano no sale though. Need test kits and those Hanna ones have good discounts. Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite
I would just get salifert for Ammonia and Nitrite and Hanna HR nitrate. (Eventually you'll want Hanna Alk, ULR Phos, and Magnesium, and Salifer or Ree Sea or NYOS Calcium)

Swing by a LFS to grab your test kits. Support the LFS’s and it’s a great way to gain some inspiration. I see you’ve been to Aquatic Collections which is a great store and usually always has what I’m looking for. I’ve heard great things about Neptune in SJ, I personally haven’t made my way out there thus far, but I do know that Robert is a supporting member and does some incredible work from what I’ve seen him post on this forum. High Tide Aquatics is right down your way in Oakland, and the owner of HTA is also a supporting member and he knows his stuff, he’s really cool to chat with. Lots of support within the local community! If you take a look at the forum page you can see all the sponsoring LFS’s. Looking forward to your journal once your tank arrives

Definitely will support the local LFS and will make a trip and take a look at High Tide! This hobby has somewhat taken over some of my time..;)
Sundays have always been for NFL... but I'm researching if drip acclimation is really needed....lol
With you help I can show the Lt. General...aka wife how beautiful and thriving this upcoming tank will be.

Definitely will support the local LFS and will make a trip and take a look at High Tide! This hobby has somewhat taken over some of my time..;)
Sundays have always been for NFL... but I'm researching if drip acclimation is really needed....lol
With you help I can show the Lt. General...aka wife how beautiful and thriving this upcoming tank will be.
Dripping is a waste of time

Dripping is a waste of time
1000% agree. I just float the bag for temp and check Salinity then drop into a QT. I know that HTA fish are kept on the sales floor are housed at 1.025sg with no copper or meds, so literally float and drop in.
If shipped from online vendor, definitely do not drip acclimate because the water in the bag will likely have accumulated ammonia and would be burning and stressing the fish during a drip process.

So exciting and I don't even have a tank yet. I'm building my equipment and was wondering what test kits I should buy. I think I like Hanna since its my daughters name
Can you all provide input on what test kits I should start with. I found a someone selling the following all new:
New Hanna Checkers: HI-758 - HI772 - HI774 - HI781 - HI782
New Reagent: HI758-26 - HI774-25 - HI781-25 - HI782-25
Reagent expirations are 2025 Phos ULR and Nitrate HR and 2027 on Nitrate LR. Calcium Reagent expires 2024
$320
Thx
I have nitrate, nitrite and ammonia you can have by api. Dont get the hana itrate checker LR. Its super tedious.

What is NSW? Very interesting
Natural sea water

IMHO
We are in drought conditions
And it’s easily available
The rainbow of liquids and powders are not necessary
Remove pollutants and replenish adsorbed ions with (large enough to matter)
Water changes
I have the old fish and corals as well as spawning fish to prove it
Although completely non scientific and purely anecdotal

Best fishes and happy reefing

Well the games are always on at High Tide!!! So you won’t miss a anything while doing some reefing

I just found this and seems interesting:

I just found this and seems interesting:
What do you like?

What do you like?
I'm struggling with what to do with my Aquascape so thought the custom design he makes is cool.
I guess the downside is with going synthetic like this you lose the porous bacteria on rock and most likely need to add media but he does create some nice cool designs.

On a side note I just measured my TDS...using my zero water gauge and its measuring 23 so I don't need to go fancy with my RODI and 4 stage should be fine I hope.

I'm struggling with what to do with my Aquascape so thought the custom design he makes is cool.
I guess the downside is with going synthetic like this you lose the porous bacteria on rock and most likely need to add media but he does create some nice cool designs.

On a side note I just measured my TDS...using my zero water gauge and its measuring 23 so I don't need to go fancy with my RODI and 4 stage should be fine I hope.
I’ve got a bunch of actual rock that I’ve made structures with in sf if you wanna check em out. I didn’t really like what I saw on the site, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

I’ve got a bunch of actual rock that I’ve made structures with in sf if you wanna check em out. I didn’t really like what I saw on the site, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.
Definitely nothing of beauty but like how the coral setup is made. Yes, would definitely like to see.

Back