Cali Kid Corals

10 hours long enough to run tank?

So we just had another power outage here in central Pleasanton and it reminded me to make sure we are all prepared should we loose power to our tanks for extended periods of time.

I run each tank on a APC inverter just to provide spike free power to sensitive electronics. The APC 1000 shows it will run the load for 45min but In reality it’s about 20min.

I have two 100 AH deep cell batteries in the shed charged by two solar panels and using Peukerts law my 18 amp draw to run both tanks would last 10.5 hours.

Also in the shed is a 2000 W gasoline generator that is supposed to run 6 hours on 1gallon of gas so I should be able to run for a day without having to buy more gas.

Is 10 hours of battery run life enough you think?

Attachments

• 6AE367A7-7EDC-4AED-BA7C-191A3E8ED3C3.jpeg
    6AE367A7-7EDC-4AED-BA7C-191A3E8ED3C3.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 14E73E88-0AF8-4BEE-8B18-938E36390CA4.jpeg
    14E73E88-0AF8-4BEE-8B18-938E36390CA4.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 101
For a short outage, yes. For an extended one, no. I have solar and a backup battery on the house, but my real backup is my two gas and propane generators which I rarely need now, but boy are they good to have! Also 2x Ecotech backup on my main pump for short term stuff. Not saying you need to match me, but you need a plan for an outage, and at least one backup.

I have one EcoTech battery backup for two MP10s and need one for my two mp40s. Thanks for reminder!

I could run both tanks on gas generator but would need to refill tank every 12 hours or so.

I have one EcoTech battery backup for two MP10s and need one for my two mp40s. Thanks for reminder!

I could run both tanks on gas generator but would need to refill tank every 12 hours or so.
Sounds like you are good if you have a big enough gas canister, and have to sleep for less than 12 hours at a time...and need neighbors who don't care about hearing the generator going or are willing to trade noise for power.

I would recommend that you get a battery operated air pumps and air stones. Assuming the tank doesn't get too cold, air is important for your fish and these can last a while. Very cheap and simply backup.

Back