High Tide Aquatics

24v to 12v step down

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I want to take advantage of the Apex’s 24v outputs. Since I added a 1Link module, I have two more of them. This would help get rid of a couple of power adapters.

For example, the XP Aqua flood guardian needs 12V and consumes 6W. Could I run it with one of the 24V outputs and use a step down converter like this one?

Yes, it should work.
Apex output is rated 30W. Effciency is not 100%, but still below that.

Really only two concerns:
1) Inrush current
There is likely a fairly large cap on the input of the converter. That can cause significant short term current.
With no data sheet, no way to tell for sure.

2) Amazon reviews.
19% at a 2 rating is not so good.

Suggest: Put a 1 Amp fuse between Apex and this converter.
That is 24W, which you should be well below, and reduces risk of damaging Apex.

Somewhat related, I bought these

Solder Seal Wire Connectors

and they are awesome! No need to fiddle with a soldering iron, which I never get right anyway.

Reactions: JVU

and they are awesome! No need to fiddle with a soldering iron, which I never get right anyway.
Man what's the melting point of solder such that it'll melt with a hot air gun?

20a957a1cf46becc19394bd4f9e50c9c.jpg

Nextrox DC/DC Converter Regulator 24V Step Down To 12V 20A 240W Low Voltage Transformer Waterproof

I've used variations of theses. Sometimes they are branded UXCELL but they all come from the same factory it seems. They've been rock solid in outdoor nema boxes for YEARS!

Let me know how these work out! I been wanting to try them but I got solder and heat shrink tubing and I have not burned through my stash!.

Back