Cali Kid Corals

+80g

Sweet deal! I hadn't even considered that. I am getting a water line run right to my tank as part of my kitchen reno which will mean that my RODI unit can now be in my fish room rather than my bathroom. (and no more hose across the floor). Having a drain as well would be pure luxury.

My American dream reduces down to a house with a garage, fishroom, extra plumbing and electrical to said room - wait! I'm living the dream now!

Get the drain Mike.

houser said:
My American dream reduces down to a house with a garage, fishroom, extra plumbing and electrical to said room - wait! I'm living the dream now!

Get the drain Mike.

Your american dream house should have more drains. Lots and lots of drains.

Over 9 wks ago I got burned by ich. That was despite my efforts to prevent the entry of that sneaky bastard in the first place. Lost two fish (travel certainly didn't help) but rest ok. They're clean now, and I have to think my tank is clean too. I'm going 2.5 months fallow then throwing em back into my main system. That day is rapidly approaching, and I'm looking forward to reintroduction.

I'm trying to deal with a long-term Caluerpa problem, making some headway I suppose, but it would be nice to clear it out. Probably screwed ther too unless o keep on top of it.

I'm thinking in a few wks she'll be shining like a new dime!

For Caluerpa is it just scrubbing scrubbing scrubbing or is there an easier treatment?

For brophis I been having the most success on frags by scrubbing the plug with a tooth brush dipped into 3% hydrogen peroxide. I then dip the entire frag into 1.5% (half strength mixed with tank water) for a few seconds and then let the plug "rest" out of the water for 60 seconds. The corals slime up like crazy to protect themselves and the brophis gets burned. SPS, zoas, cloves and leathers seem to tolerate it just fine. Can't do it too often though and some corals tolerate it poorly. (I've only tried it once on an LPS and nearly killed it)

Picking it manually works well. I can get all my rocks out individually so it's not too bad of a task. Just time and effort.

I know you can also pick it clean, throw it into the dark sump, and forget about it for a few months and it cleans up.

Or give it to some gnarly hungry fish and let them go at it. I don't have said fish though...

Well then bring the fish over to my rubbish bin because there's a big bag of it in there. Still more to grab out, but getting there. I grab some every time I walk by the tank.

This week I'm going to get dirty and scrape the sides and back off. I haven't been able to see through the sides for months. Should be interesting what's back there.

Ushio 14K vs. Radium 20K. Galaxy ballast. Been running the ushios for a while pretty much hated the look at first glance but since I bought the bulbs... Does make the blue base of my ritteri visible from space however!
6e95539c.jpg

I'm going to get in there this long weekend and clean up! Been manually working on the macroalgae issues, making good progress, but I'm talking about a few hours in the tank. Also plumbing the drain for my new utility sink!

Dave, you are a mad man with your system :p When are we going to see solar powered electrolysis setup to generate hydrogen to use in a fuel cell to power your heater which will generate enough steam to power a turbine which will generate your electricity to run your lights?

I'm bringing up a calcium reactor. I scored a reactor body from RTC (thanks Crabby) and there is just enough DIY to keep me interested. Should be up in 2 wks or so.

Just ordered a gryphon last week and am excited as I have a number of things that need some serious attention. Perfect timing with the swap coming up next month.

Back