Cali Kid Corals

a quick Hello from myself and my salty critters

Hello BAYMAC, I really appreciate you reaching out to help and I will certainly email you tonight...

Hi David, I suppose I will have to visit Aquatic Collection in the next few days (running low on the 2-part)
The new fish is this guy;

_MG_4807.jpg

He is pretty small (I think) the glass edge in the picture is 1/8" so I would say he's less than 1.5" and much smaller than Jill as well as lighter in color and more on the yellow side she's more vibrant orange. Anyway I think you pointed out something important here and that is the size of the food I'm feeding, this must be true since he ate some finely crushed Aqueon Tropical Flakes. He will eat one or two pellets of New Life Spectrum Thera A and the rest will sink down right past him or he will grab one then spit it out. I will try the crushed flakes again tomorrow and see how he does with the TDO samples once they arrive.

Thanks guys for chiming in.

Didn't notice your post Denzil

I hated the feeling when my fish jumped out of the tank the other day.
That fish is a psycho I have to distract her with the handle of my scrubber each time I reach into the tank for maintenance otherwise she will literally grab hold of my skin and thrash (not much pain) but still startling enough to make me drop a powerhead or nearly push a rock over. She bit the soft bit of skin that folds on the inside of the pinkie knuckle and caused me to drop my new koralia to the bottom of the tank 2 nights ago, I couldn't help but laugh :Sp

LOL! I have an 11 year old......5" Gold banded maroon clown. She draws blood these days. I have to wear a diving glove when working in the Anemone's area. It doesn't hurt all that bad, but it's annoying. I get all these circle shaped wounds. LOL! Awesome fish though.......worth the hassle.

Good luck with Jack. Good lookin clown.

Jack looks to be in good health! There's a lot of discussion about food particle size for corals, but lesser emphasis on fish. It should be kept in mind that in the wild, clownfish are plankton feeders. It would probably be rare for a benthic organism like a shrimp to sweep by. One of the things I like best about Reed's line of TDO/Otohime is the range of different sizes. At 1.5", Jack should take to C2 quite well, but may prefer C1. I recommend experimenting a little with the different sizes you get. The extra dose of axathanthin in TDO could also potentially bring out a little more vivid orange coloration in Jack.

IME the key to getting finicky fish to begin eating well is to feed small portions frequently. Best of luck!

denzil said:
The TDO we have is awesome. I'm currently using C1 and the Sustainable Aquatics blend for my clowns. Unfortunately, one of them jumped out of the 10g. :(

Your flying fish didn't hit you in the chest, Denzil? Sorry to hear about the loss... I have some of the clear netting material for you if you are interested in making a screen top for your tank.

HiFidelity said:
Didn't notice your post Denzil

I hated the feeling when my fish jumped out of the tank the other day.
That fish is a psycho I have to distract her with the handle of my scrubber each time I reach into the tank for maintenance otherwise she will literally grab hold of my skin and thrash (not much pain) but still startling enough to make me drop a powerhead or nearly push a rock over. She bit the soft bit of skin that folds on the inside of the pinkie knuckle and caused me to drop my new koralia to the bottom of the tank 2 nights ago, I couldn't help but laugh :Sp
Heh, well luckily enough, the fish are still small so they don't my hands in the tank, at least not yet anyways. I hope they don't learn to nip at me, LoL. I may have to get that Coralife Aqua glove. Is that the only type of aquarium glove on the market?

lattehiatus said:
Your flying fish didn't hit you in the chest, Denzil? Sorry to hear about the loss... I have some of the clear netting material for you if you are interested in making a screen top for your tank.
Nah, it actually happened while I was away at work, I believe. Unfortunately, it was the double misbar (both sides) and it was by far my favorite out of the four. I really didn't think Clowns were jumpers so I had decided to do away with the eggcrate + mesh top that I had made; it interferes with the Aqueon LED lighting. However, since I had originally planned on making screen for my 40B, I suppose I should just make one for the 10g.

What kind of netting do you have? Is it the 1/4" or the 1/2"? I believe the netting we have is 1/4".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLAS-POND-GLOVES-ATLAS-WATER-GARDENER-GLOVES-26-S-M-L-/220771922384?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&var=&hash=item33670831d0

"Pond Gloves" but they look like almost the exact same thing, or some scuba gloves work too if you don't want a really long glove like that.
I read the infected finger post and I've been using a regular rubber glove with a rubber band tied around my wrist just in case I have a cut or scratch when my hand goes in there plus the bright blue color doesn't seem to look as appetizing to my fish :bigsmile:

5" maroon clown bite! that must actually hurt, my friend has a 5-6 year old maroon clown and she doesn't mind when my hand is in her tank, she's been in there for at least 5 years.
I wonder if a big clown like that has ever swiped anyone with it's cheek spine haha that would suck.

lattehiatus said:
Jack looks to be in good health! There's a lot of discussion about food particle size for corals, but lesser emphasis on fish. It should be kept in mind that in the wild, clownfish are plankton feeders. It would probably be rare for a benthic organism like a shrimp to sweep by. One of the things I like best about Reed's line of TDO/Otohime is the range of different sizes. At 1.5", Jack should take to C2 quite well, but may prefer C1. I recommend experimenting a little with the different sizes you get. The extra dose of axathanthin in TDO could also potentially bring out a little more vivid orange coloration in Jack.

IME the key to getting finicky fish to begin eating well is to feed small portions frequently. Best of luck!

A little heads up for future reference..

new naming protocol soon to go into play for TDO...

keeping A through C1 as those names
C2 will be SMALL
EP1 will be MEDIUM
EP2 will be LARGE

SM/MD/LG are what stores will be stocking for the most part. C1 and C2 are very close in size.

lattehiatus said:
I have both 1/4" and 1/2" clear netting sitting around, so if you need some of the 1/2" just let me know!
I think I'll try out some of the 1/2". Just let me know what I owe ya!
HiFidelity said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLAS-POND-GLOVES-ATLAS-WATER-GARDENER-GLOVES-26-S-M-L-/220771922384?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&var=&hash=item33670831d0

"Pond Gloves" but they look like almost the exact same thing, or some scuba gloves work too if you don't want a really long glove like that.
I read the infected finger post and I've been using a regular rubber glove with a rubber band tied around my wrist just in case I have a cut or scratch when my hand goes in there plus the bright blue color doesn't seem to look as appetizing to my fish :bigsmile:

5" maroon clown bite! that must actually hurt, my friend has a 5-6 year old maroon clown and she doesn't mind when my hand is in her tank, she's been in there for at least 5 years.
I wonder if a big clown like that has ever swiped anyone with it's cheek spine haha that would suck.
Thanks for that link, I just picked up a pair. :)
BAYMAC said:

C2 will be SMALL
EP1 will be MEDIUM
EP2 will be LARGE

SM/MD/LG are what stores will be stocking for the most part. C1 and C2 are very close in size.
I really like the C1 and the packaging it comes in. Gresh, where can we get a constant supply of these TDO goodies locally? Is it just best if we order it directly through Reed Mariculture? :)

BAYMAC said:

C2 will be SMALL
EP1 will be MEDIUM
EP2 will be LARGE

Is the new naming protocol intended to broaden the market for TDO? Thanks for the heads-up!

Personally I feel like there's a world of difference in granule size between C1 and C2, but that probably doesn't apply to the average reefkeeper.

500 µm separate the upper ends of the two, a half millimeter, twice the size of a rotifer which you can barely see. 560 µm is the thickness of the central area of a human cornea, or ~62x larger then a human red blood cell. Your average hobbyist will never need a fish food so small, and if they do, we stil sell the smaller sizes, we're just not going to market them in an large capacity. The effort, and cost, to take a UPC nation wide is not small. 50 states, 50 sets of regulations and 50 permits per UPC to be paid for.

Yes, the new naming protocol, and new packaging (yet to be released) is an effort to both illustrate the co-branding with Reef Nutrition, but also to get a larger customer base with it. There are certain things you need to do with feeds to make them have mass appeal, and those I did not do with TDO originally as it was targeted mainly at breeders.

Any Reef Nutrition dealer can get it for you, just ask them.

If not, www.TD-OTO.com , but we prefer you try your local store first :)

I know Jess at Diablo was stocking it, and I am pretty sure Aqua Exotics is as well. Hmmm I seem to recall Robert saying he carried it. I'm not in sales so I don't have access to our invoices.

Its all good :) I got held up myself, table saw broke I was using and I've been waiting all day for a friend to unlock his shop so I can finish making a cutting board for the Reef Nutrition production facility. I still have 2 dados to cut, arg.

I'll mail it out Monday :)

you are quite a gentleman, but I can confidently say that the fish is probably not going to need anything more than what I have. He's learned to eat from the surface so he's been gobbling up crushed flakes also I've managed to discover his secret to the pellets; 2 pellets at a time 2-3 times a day.
I guess that's enough for comfort.
Thanks Gresh

Back