Jestersix

Adding potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate to kalk solution?

newfly

Supporting Member
Trying to add phosphate and nitrate to the tank. I’m doing manual dosing right now. 1ml phosphate and 10ml nitrate a week.

Can I add these 2 to my kalk ? I don’t need to be precise as these amount is very small - 0.03 ppm phosphate and 3-4ppm nitrate for my tank size. Just trying to reduce nutrient drop to 0.

I read on reef2reef that I can mix both solution together and dose . Now what about adding them to my kalk dosing ( not via ato)

I empty my kalk reservoir every 14days. I figure I could add 2mil phosphate and 20ml nitrate to the same reservoir?

With Kalk I'd worry that they'd be immiscible and one liquid might suspend on top of the other, not being mixed propperly. But that's unfounded and simply the first worry that came to mind, I don't know for sure. ATO could be a better option but that comes with it's own set of issues around varying evaporation rates, etc.

Have you tried the more basic route of just feeding the fish more?

I have 4 fishes in a 65g and they are all fat. I ghost feed , or turn on the auto feeder with all the pump running. Bristle works and other critters get the most of it.

Dosing phosphate and nitrate seems to work for my system. As long as it’s slightly above zero, I’m good. Tank and corals are doing really well (consuming 3 dkh alk a day) with very minimum coralline algae ( thanks for be urchin)

Trying to add phosphate and nitrate to the tank. I’m doing manual dosing right now. 1ml phosphate and 10ml nitrate a week.

Can I add these 2 to my kalk ? I don’t need to be precise as these amount is very small - 0.03 ppm phosphate and 3-4ppm nitrate for my tank size. Just trying to reduce nutrient drop to 0.

I read on reef2reef that I can mix both solution together and dose . Now what about adding them to my kalk dosing ( not via ato)

I empty my kalk reservoir every 14days. I figure I could add 2mil phosphate and 20ml nitrate to the same reservoir?

I wouldn't, you'll probably waste at least the phosphate.

Kalkwasser can help precipitate or bind phosphates to some extent due to its high pH. At high pH levels, phosphates are more likely to combine with calcium and form insoluble calcium phosphate precipitates.

Could get some more fish maybe? Not sure what you have in there still but maybe like a fairy or flasher wrasse, or something that inhabits spaces in your tank the others don't.

I have an evil azure damsel , clowns pair (1 is a big bully) and purple tang that not really gentle

I just lazy to think about the headeach about adding new fish. I do have bare bottom so most wrasse is not a good idea plus I have peppermint shrimps.

Would love to add anthias and or Midas Benny. Maybe one day.

It’s a AIO tank. Not growing any algae intentionally . Tank is pretty clear (mostly) of algae. Normal stuff on the glass and a few loose algae here and there . Mostly of dead coral casualties from coral fight.

Here is the full tank shot

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 59
Back