Neptune Aquatics

Aiptasia or something else?

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
Hi there - unsure about this one being Aiptasia or a feather duster? I thought it was Aiptasia and tried to glue/putty it over, but it keeps coming out of different holes. I bought F Aiptasia now, but I am no longer sure if this is not just a feather duster?

Attachments

• IMG_6295.jpeg
    IMG_6295.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 68
It’s aiptasia
Pull the whole rock
Cut off the desired polyps
Dry out the rock....completely!
If there’s 1, there’s MORE
I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news
But I’m fighting them here too

If you use F aiptasia, leave the pumps off while applying and then leave them off for a few hours after so it can crust over. Also try not to spill/dribble it onto other things since it's highly caustic.

Did this come in on your live rock order? And what area was the rock from? I think i recently read some LR harvest locations may not have the typical aiptasia we so commonly see in our reef tanks.Your pic looks a little different than the typical.

If it’s in your gulf rock. Some people say it’s a nem. Let me see if I can find it on a website
Edit. Here ya go. Lightbulb nem.

Still ugly but just to let you know what they are.

I thought they were adiaptsia back in the day too.

Last edited:
Check out sponge anemone on google images and see if it looks similar.

Pulled this from Humble TBS vendor sub forum. Written by TBS:

(We refer to this nem as a sponge anemone. It is an "undescribed species in the genus Bellatis. This particular species does not proliferate asexually." -FWC. It lives solitary, sometimes has a greenish tint disc and are varying shades of brown. This anemone is documented to host snapping shrimp. The Tampa Bay Saltwater farm does not have the same species of aiptasia found as hitchhikers from LFS and online venders that spread like a plague, this has been verified by biologists at FWC.*). These guys will be consumed by a peppermint shrimp or CBB. While they aren't an attractive nem, you don't have to worry about it multiplying.

Did this come in on your live rock order? And what area was the rock from? I think i recently read some LR harvest locations may not have the typical aiptasia we so commonly see in our reef tanks.Your pic looks a little different than the typical.

Yes, this was one of the rocks from the TBS order. I also thought it looked different than the Aiptasia pictures I have seen.

If it’s in your gulf rock. Some people say it’s a nem. Let me see if I can find it on a website
Edit. Here ya go. Lightbulb nem.

Still ugly but just to let you know what they are.

I thought they were adiaptsia back in the day too.

Thank you, yet this does not resemble what I have from what I can see on the picture. Its less bubbly, more straight strings, striped. And yes, its on the TBS live rock.

If you use F aiptasia, leave the pumps off while applying and then leave them off for a few hours after so it can crust over. Also try not to spill/dribble it onto other things since it's highly caustic.

Thank you. I assume the resulting temperature drop would not be an issue in the tank?

Back