Votes: 2 50.0%
  • filter floss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • macro algae in fuge

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • bigger skimmer

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
I think building an auto glass cleaner would be a neat electronics project. I don't know how to do it cheaply if you want to be safe. It seems like every company that's launched one of these has had it fail. It seems like something that might be better suited to a DIY setup, since there's no company to go under.

I think you could do a computer vision solution to ensure you don't scratch your glass by catching a snail, and you can have it stay away from the sand to avoid catching stuff there. However I'm not sure how to pull off the mechanical movement part. Maybe it's as simple as just some rollers with silicone on them?

An ESP32Cam should be all the hardware to do the controlling + computer vision to make sure you don't catch something. Likely the most expensive part would be buying something like a Tunze Care for the magnets and scraper.

Reactions: JVU
Hey Max, I know we talked about an algae scrubber. But I also did some research and found this for you. It would prevent some of the light from your Radions from hitting the front glass

Although, looking at the design these probably work best for lights that are run parallel to the tank, and you have yours turned 90° so im not sure how effective it will be.

The light bouncing off the glass helps keep up the PAR level and distribution throughout the tank.

I’ve wondered for a long time if there were some way to treat the inside of the glass to discourage algae growth without being toxic to the tank. It would be a game changer in our hobby/industry.

The light bouncing off the glass helps keep up the PAR level and distribution throughout the tank.

I’ve wondered for a long time if there were some way to treat the inside of the glass to discourage algae growth without being toxic to the tank. It would be a game changer in our hobby/industry.
On his tank he has 3 XR30's and 2 Kessil a360's. If he is short on PAR then I'm doomed.

Or saying you’re wrong, but is the a brs experiment thing or common sense that makes you say that? I wouldn’t think there would be a lot of light bouncing off the glass back into the tank and more so it goes through the glass?
Wonder what the difference would be glass versus acrylic?

Or saying you’re wrong, but is the a brs experiment thing or common sense that makes you say that? I wouldn’t think there would be a lot of light bouncing off the glass back into the tank and more so it goes through the glass?
Wonder what the difference would be glass versus acrylic?
It is well known that light bounces off the water/glass interface if the angle of incidence of the light is larger than the critical angle for the difference of densities of the 2 mediums. Reflection vs refraction. So at an angle it bounces back in, when straight on it goes through.

You can see this for yourself if you put your face next to the glass and look up at different angles. If you look sharply upward you can’t see a light right above you over the tank but you can see one farther back in the tank or if you look at less of an angle. Because the light is reflected back inward.

Maybe more intuitive- at a sharp angle the glass blocks light spill from the tank into the room (causes shadow in the room).

You can see it with a par meter as well, just check the par low in the tank like on the sand, in the front where there’s clean glass reflecting back vs where glass is covered, you’ll see a big par difference.

On his tank he has 3 XR30's and 2 Kessil a360's. If he is short on PAR then I'm doomed.
It’s more about even distribution and reducing shadows. My par on my sand in front is similar to mid-tank because it has direct and reflected light both, and coral grows on vertical faces and even under overhangs from the bounced light.

I’m not saying the light hoods are bad, just saying there’s a significant trade off that a lot people don’t realize.

It is pretty obvious in more shallow nano tank where the glass to volume ratio is much higher. Cleaning the glass after a vacation has a noticeable change in polyp extension for corals near the glass and in low corners. Maybe the ratio is different in deeper and larger tanks so it isn't as noticeable unless looking?

I have to scrape the wall every day. What are the recommendations to scrape less?
Personally “Vibrant” reduces the growth to where I only do it 1x a week. Changes will happen like a month into using it if you follow the bottles directions. You can dose more then bottle says and see crazy results which I have learned the hard way not to do.

Personally “Vibrant” reduces the growth to where I only do it 1x a week. Changes will happen like a month into using it if you follow the bottles directions. You can dose more then bottle says and see crazy results which I have learned the hard way not to do.
Vibrant's marketing is a lie and actually is an algaecide that wasn't properly labeled and didn't follow EPA guidelines for listing disposal instructions for the active ingredient. I highly recommend you stop using it if you care for your animals. It's been removed from most reefing stores for this reason.

Vibrant's marketing is a lie and actually is an algaecide that wasn't properly labeled and didn't follow EPA guidelines for listing disposal instructions for the active ingredient. I highly recommend you stop using it if you care for your animals. It's been removed from most..
Well knowing this I can see why it’s 1ml for every 10 gallons now. Seemed so little if it was bacteria doing all the work. I’ll do further research as well & thanks for the heads up.

PPG has SUNCLEAN which is a titanium dioxide coating that self cleans with the help of UV. Jake reported on it at in the early days of Reef Builders IIRC. I haven't seen much about it since, but I know some aquaria companies did contact PPG. I can't find anything on it (use in aquaria) via google.

Reactions: JVU
Vibrant's marketing is a lie and actually is an algaecide that wasn't properly labeled and didn't follow EPA guidelines for listing disposal instructions for the active ingredient. I highly recommend you stop using it if you care for your animals. It's been removed from most reefing stores for this reason.

Did you see those threads on R2R?

Back