Our mission

AlgaeBarn chaeto grew dinos

I think it rates a 1 on the reef fantasy/reef certainty scale. I think it’s theoretically possible but not really attainable. You only need water and light for the film algae to grow. Trying to prevent a single spore of any kind of algae out sounds nearly impossible to me.
I'd go so far as to put it at zero. I've seen covered containers that I've bleached rock in form algae after months (left the water in there). So like the Lysol wipes say "kills 99.9% of household germs" yeah that 0.1% still will regrow.

I tried my damn hardest to avoid any nuisance algae... but I think instead of battling nuisance algae I had dinos instead. It's just something we have to deal with.

Since AlgaeBarn hasn’t had any chaeto in stock for a while I put in an order for 2 tennis ball sized bunches of chaeto. I will give a close inspection. Were you able to easily see the hair algae on the stuff you got?

Pretty easy to see. I got a tiny clump as well.

Is it even possible to keep pest algae out of a reef?
Depends on the pest.
Common micro-algae nope. Just look at how fast a pool turns green when you stop adding chlorine.
Sterilized to pea soup in a week or two.

But less common ones, like Bryopsis, and of course various macro-algae, then yes.

I know there will always be some kind of algae in there but I’d like to avoid a strain that outgrows everything else. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for this ReefCleaners order. Hopefully I’ll start moving fish over at the end of the month to the new tank.

I'm proud of my chaeto, and for some reason like keeping it clean. Hasn't picked up any nuisance algae that I can see..looks almost edible..[emoji16]

Will be harvesting soon if any supporting members need a sandwich bag full.

2e4ecf27c0fe552f0a1d839b480d2794.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am so very glad I saw this. I just bought some chaeto from them yesterday and it never really dawned on me to check it and qt. Guess I will have to find somewhere to stuff this and keep an eye on it for a while.

Back