Neptune Aquatics

Andrew's Red Sea Reefer 250

Oh snaps! I remember... haha. Hope the dry rock worked out for you, I recall you built a cool epoxied structure with it?
Went through a gnarly stage of Dino’s over the past few months but getting back into the momentum of things. Slowly getting it dialed back in
C352BFDE-F60C-4400-8F6F-82ECAAD7560C.jpeg

I noticed my Jabao doser starting to malfunction. It served me well for 5 years and was very cost effective. Luckily it failed in a way that didn't cause catastrophe.

Fairwell Jabao...
IMG_3256.jpg

I decided to replace it with a Red Sea ReefDose + Kamoer X1 PRO 2:

IMG_3269.jpg

I have the ReefDose for calcium, alkalinity, and amino acids. The Kamoer is dosing kalkwasser.

I initially planned to run Kalkwasser on the ReefDose but discovered it can only dose 1L per day. I decided to add the Kamoer just for the kalk (can dose 10L / day), as this also leaves me with a free channel on the ReefDose in case I want to dose something else down the road...

Happy Reefing!

I noticed my Jabao doser starting to malfunction. It served me well for 5 years and was very cost effective. Luckily it failed in a way that didn't cause catastrophe.

Fairwell Jabao...
View attachment 45361

View attachment 45363

I have the ReefDose for calcium, alkalinity, and amino acids. The Kamoer is dosing kalkwasser.

I initially planned to run Kalkwasser on the ReefDose but discovered it can only dose 1L per day. I decided to add the Kamoer just for the kalk (can dose 10L / day), as this also leaves me with a free channel on the ReefDose in case I want to dose something else down the road...

Happy Reefing!
What are you using for aminos? Acro power ?

Fairwell Jabao...
View attachment 45361

View attachment 45363

Happy Reefing!
Looks really clean under there! Is acropower shelf stable? I'm definitely interesting in trying that since it seems to keep your nitrates stable without spiking phosphate.

I'm guessing elevated tin could be from something corroding either in your saltwater mixing tank, a magnet in the tank, impeller, etc., but it's still pretty low.

edit: also any aggression between the hammers and the lords? They both look really happy

Last edited:
Looks really clean under there! Is acropower shelf stable? I'm definitely interesting in trying that since it seems to keep your nitrates stable without spiking phosphate.

I'm guessing elevated tin could be from something corroding either in your saltwater mixing tank, a magnet in the tank, impeller, etc., but it's still pretty low.

edit: also any aggression between the hammers and the lords? They both look really happy

Thanks! Supposedly AcroPower is shelf stable for ~2 years.

As a pre-caution, I removed my magnet scraper from the tank, I had been leaving it in continuously. Now I plan to just put it in the water when I need to scrape the glass. I'll check for any corrosion on my impellers and clean my mixing bucket, hadn't thought of those things.

No aggression between the hammer and lord yet, they are further away than they look in the photos, but starting to get close. I should check to see how close the sweeper tentacles get at night, haha.

Last edited:
Today I measured PAR using the club's Apogee MQ-510. What an awesome perk to being a club member! Below are my measurements running 3x kessil A360X at 65% intensity and 15% color:

Kessil_65_percent_3_units-1.jpg

I think for the most part, numbers seem OK? It's challenging running a mixed reef, I think some of the SPS could handle more light/flow, but the LPS/softies are at the limits of what I think they can handle. I'm planning on adding acropora and montipora to the upper ledges.

On a somewhat un-related note, I had previously lost two Acros to STN (both added at the 6 month mark). I was pretty bummed and discouraged, but I think the tank seems more stable and mature now at 1 year. I've since added a few more test frags, and they seem to be doing well. They took some time to adjust, but now seem to be growing and have good polyp extension throughout the day. Here is one I got from @Scott Sweet:

IMG_3293.jpg

This may not seem like much to you guys, but I'm seriously so stoked!! One step closer to the Acro garden of my dreams, haha.

Back