Neptune Aquatics

Anna & Pablo’s RSR P650

Last trident test succeeded and shows alk at 6.81, so maybe the tank will weather the storm. Thank you to the kind reefers that offered to take care of it in my absence - you’re awesome human beings!

Last trident test succeeded and shows alk at 6.81, so maybe the tank will weather the storm. Thank you to the kind reefers that offered to take care of it in my absence - you’re awesome human beings!
Hope when you come home something was just wrong with the trident.

So, Trident said 6.6 when I got home last night. I had my son dose some AFR manually during the day but it didn't seem to have the expected effect - maybe it just helped to keep it from plummeting further. This morning Trident said 7.5, Hannah said 7.9 and Salifert said 8.0. So, I think I'm out of the woods. Nothing looks to have been affected, but I hear Alk swings take a week or two to manifest.

I still don't know what happened. My best guess is that the dosing line was sucking a lot of air. When I ran it manually today, it took a while to get to drops, but it did eventually. I need to get to the bottom of this today.

I keep having dosing issues and I can’t figure out what is going on. I’m using a DOS. I replaced all the tubing and put the dosing end into a graduated cylinder. It should be dosing 7ml per hour. The first hour, I got 10. The second hour I got 5. The third and fourth hours, I got nothing.
At that point I primed it manually and it took a long while to get drops out again. So, it seems like it is sucking in air somewhere but not immediately. I’m not sure what to do next.

I keep having dosing issues and I can’t figure out what is going on. I’m using a DOS. I replaced all the tubing and put the dosing end into a graduated cylinder. It should be dosing 7ml per hour. The first hour, I got 10. The second hour I got 5. The third and fourth hours, I got nothing.
At that point I primed it manually and it took a long while to get drops out again. So, it seems like it is sucking in air somewhere but not immediately. I’m not sure what to do next.
You aren't making me want to put my DOS on my tank... I am having success with bubble magnus. I have an extra if you want to borrow it until you get your DOS figured out.

You’re getting air in the line somewhere. I hate those nipple and screw down connectors. Always was leaky for me.

I switched mine to use 1/4” push connect. The threading on the dos connector is 1/8” NPT so you could just buy a four of 1/4” Push connect adapter to 1/8” NPT. I also used thread sealant to prevent any leaks on the adapter threading. Haven’t had a problem for over a year and a half since switching.

A844EF18-F6F0-429B-B3DF-DF6B8AEACB68.jpeg

I didn’t realize it now until I searched, but saltwater aquarium has a 4-pack made especially noted for DOS.

Amazon has it cheaper per adapter, but only sells in a 10-pack.

Last edited:
I think the problem was that I cut the DOS nipples too short.

B2D17D61-2419-4748-B316-DFFA0CACC362.jpeg

With the nipple cut all the way down, the threaded fitting gets tweaked.

44DF8519-1163-447F-BEAD-41C68D3154DF.jpeg

So I started over, leaving them intact and added a section of clear, rigid tubing so I can see the bubbles, if any.

53B5F3FC-6DD0-460D-85B5-6DBDC0EE4765.jpeg

I think the problem was that I cut the DOS nipples too short.

View attachment 27603

With the nipple cut all the way down, the threaded fitting gets tweaked.

View attachment 27604

So I started over, leaving them intact and added a section of clear, rigid tubing so I can see the bubbles, if any.

View attachment 27605

Ahhh. The John Guest adapter don't have as deep of threading. They wouldn't go that far to press on the pump housing.

Back