Our mission

Any Comcast gurus here?

Too much signal is bad as well, that's why I wonder about your amplifier. knowing the specific channel/s where the digital service/s travels through, will tell a tech if the trouble is at the modem/box, splitter, ground block or tap.
I'm out of touch with today's CATV services; wish I could help you a bit. I have a friend, supervisor at Comcast and I asked him about the signal meters since I wanted to sell mine; he told me they are of seldom use but only since signal is really good all over the area and technicians use an "app" to activate services; still, a meter is a great tool when troubleshooting.
Ya thanks for trying. It seems like when my upstream is over 50 it affects the TV. Plugging the modem directly into grounding block drops me from 52 to 45. But putting anything in between, splitter or amplifier bumps it right back up

Is that a Comcast modem or your own?
If theirs, ask for it to be replaced.
Maybe a signal attenuator could help but best is to do a full scan of the channels where signal travels back and forth.
Back in the day of HD and DVR boxes, there was a black market for those; to prevent automatic deactivation, the culprits selling them installed a filter to block the signal/frequency that would render the boxes useless. Now everything is controlled a different way with an app for this and an app for that…
I’m not sure if there’s an app to measure signal strength of different frequencies used by the modems

Is that a Comcast modem or your own?
If theirs, ask for it to be replaced.
Maybe a signal attenuator could help but best is to do a full scan of the channels where signal travels back and forth.
Back in the day of HD and DVR boxes, there was a black market for those; to prevent automatic deactivation, the culprits selling them installed a filter to block the signal/frequency that would render the boxes useless. Now everything is controlled a different way with an app for this and an app for that…
I’m not sure if there’s an app to measure signal strength of different frequencies used by the modems
Comcast modem. Maybe I'll have them swap it out. That would be something on the modem side not wiring?

Hopefully on the modem. Those modems tend to go nuts; we had the modem swapped twice at home. You'd need to re-do your settings on the new modem.
I would still have them check the wiring and answer the question of Why you need an amp? How far is the tap from the ground block? you don't have many outlets that IMHO, with a good signal, a regular 4-way splitter will do just fine and if you need a fifth line, a Directional Coupler DC6 (6dB loss) on one end; the other end would feed the 4-way.
A form of dialing down signal strength is to use an 8-way splitter and cap all unused ports to prevent egress/signal leakage.
When the HD/DVR Service came out, pixelation/frozen images was due to poor signal, specially on 1080 resolution; we had to check with the meter different channel frequencies and report readings on the work orders; many techs would just make up the readings and that spelled trouble calls down the road.
The modems BTW are 3-band; one band is used to broadcast an open channel named XFINITY so Comcast can provide "hot spots" to other Xfinity subscribers, in other words, they use the service you pay for, to connect other subscribers and so you, as a subscriber, can access their service in many places.

Back