Cali Kid Corals

any truth to the rumor that asap is going outta business

The lombard one is going out of business? Haven't been there in ages. Their prices were high, but they had some nice small display tanks. When's this shop closing?

[quote author=xcaret link=topic=5428.msg67540#msg67540 date=1228626909]
The aquarium on Lombard in San Francisco is going out of business too...
[/quote]

FWIW, I hear they closed they're doors this past Friday.

Is this really the proper place to post utterly untrue rumors that effect one of our sponsors, and the place that has graciously allowed the club to store and use their conference room? IMO this is completely out of line and should be deleted and locked!!!

As a long time club member, ex-BOD and current sponsor I am embarrassed of this thread in our forum to say the least!

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg67849#msg67849 date=1228782831]
So where is the proper place to inquire about such rumors we hear?
[/quote]

The best source for information about a person/people is/are the person/people themselves.

If I were the recipient of rumors, true or not, I would want people to come and talk to me. :)

Lyn: I agree, however it might be a bit impractical for Bob and/or Robert to speak to everyone in the club. Besides, at what point do you as club start to worry about where to hold meetings? Did the BoD know of this? Lots of what ifs, and to be perfectly honest I didn't what to even ask the "is it true" rumors, until I saw said Steve Robinson post.

You all are missing the point.

ASAP has done more for the club then most of the membership and the other sponsors. Out of respect alone BAR shouldn't be allowing this thread to be posted. BAR has little to do with industry issues like this, it has zip to do with the mission statement and effects most the club members only in the fact BAR has to find a new location. I just feel this thread is in poor taste and serves only to stir up your gossip juices. I hear rumors every day but you don't ever see me posting them ;)

And Yes, I as well heard this prior to the post....

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5428.msg67931#msg67931 date=1228843341]
You all are missing the point.

ASAP has done more for the club then most of the membership and the other sponsors. Out of respect alone BAR shouldn't be allowing this thread to be posted. BAR has little to do with industry issues like this, it has zip to do with the mission statement and effects most the club members only in the fact BAR has to find a new location. I just feel this thread is in poor taste and serves only to stir up your gossip juices. I hear rumors every day but you don't ever see me posting them ;)

And Yes, I as well heard this prior to the post....
[/quote]

Gresham, I haven't seen any gossip, slandering or misinformation in this thread. I realize it is hard to see friends and colleagues suffer, but I wouldn't discount this from BAR's involvement in the industry or our mission statement. The truth of the matter is, BAR is a product of the industry, without it BAR would not exist. I am guessing that membership, volunteerism, donations, and participation drops in this hobby with 401Ks and local fish stores and that does have a direct impact on us as a club.

Additionally, threads like this motivate me to buy local and specifically from sponsors first and I would imagine in motivates other members who read threads like this and realize their LFS (or wholesaler) could be next.

Maybe BAR as a club with so many ties to the industry should launch "Buy Local" type campaign to really motivate current members and new members to keep their $ here in the bay area and to promote a ethic of local, economic sustainability, and not the "I saved $2 on a flat of salt from DFS, here is the link to this amazing deal so you never have to buy salt from a LFS again!"

Just my 2cents.

Cheers,

Josh

Well see my point is eventually BAR will have to find another location, is this Saturday's meeting going to be at ASAP even? or canceled perhaps? When there is a new meeting location, eventually someone is going to why are we meeting at... and I think the truth is more useful than telling lies to try and "protect" friends/sponsors/etc.

That being said, I agree nothing bad was said about them, in fact it seems more about concern which I can't see as a bad thing.

But hey, anyone could potentially read it in a different light.

The industry could disappear tomorrow (and it very well can) and BAR could still be a club, so I don not take BAR as a "product of the industry", sorry. Just because the "industry" got shut down does not equate to people throwing away everything they have. I could point to a few hobbies that had basically got out lawed that people still practice today...take brewing beer for example, or making wine :) People would still find a way to grow coral ;)

BAR has always tried to promote buy local. This is why you don't see DFS as a sponsor. Many members push buy local like it's going out of style, just look to me if you don't believe it :)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5428.msg67942#msg67942 date=1228846302]
Well see my point is eventually BAR will have to find another location, is this Saturday's meeting going to be at ASAP even? or canceled perhaps? When there is a new meeting location, eventually someone is going to why are we meeting at... and I think the truth is more useful than telling lies to try and "protect" friends/sponsors/etc.

That being said, I agree nothing bad was said about them, in fact it seems more about concern which I can't see as a bad thing.

But hey, anyone could potentially read it in a different light.

[/quote]

Rather then pontificating in a thread, why not PM or email the BOD and ask directly?

Telling lies? Did I suggest that?

funny_cat_pictures_pc_6.jpg

emperorcateq8.jpg

Back