Reef nutrition

Anybody have experience w/ coldwater tanks?

Care to share what you learned?

I'll post pictures soon of a project I've taken on, possibly against my better judgment, but who can pass up being able to caress an RK2 on a regular basis :D

I'm sure you've read all the obvious threads (like steve weast's). But from what I know the tank thickness should be 1" or more to avoid any condensation, flow and lighting aren't really huge issues, and there are amazingly cute little boxfish you can get ;)

There are a lot of sources for livestock on the northern east cost from what I've read on Nano-Reef.com's threads about coldwater. A few people have a bunch of sources of people collecting from that area.

But other than that, WE NEED PICTURES!

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2516.msg25934#msg25934 date=1192894194]
Hmm... sounds like that museum job, Jeremy :D
[/quote]Yep, the tank is in place, setup, has some livestock.

It's a local biotope.

Oh yeah, you'll get some pics late next week.

I've got on and off experience with them spanning years back. What yah want to know :)

1" isn't needed really, 3/4" is even called over kill by some. I had to talk our local city out of doing one on our wharf. They came to me for advice and to design it (no install, union only :) ) and I told them acrylic was the only thing we could do. The tagging problem here in Santa Cruz is as such they'll never place an acrylic tank where the public could harm it. Freaking taggers, I almost landed a dream design :(

No taggers in this place, just a bunch of slobbery snotty hands smacking against the acrylic. BTW, it's all 1" the tank is somewhere around 500g not including the sump, RK2, fluidized filter. The setup is well done, however it has suffered from lack of maintenance, I don't think it has had a water change ever.... The water looks like Lite beer from Miller/Coors (now one company). My plan is to do 75g water changes every other week and aggressive use of carbon to clear it up. It's outside under a canopy w/ no lighting, which I will be correcting. It has a small swell shark, a small leopard shark, some anemones, a school of what looks to me to be grunion, and various crabs and snails.

Mostly I'm looking for advice on those things one would normally not think of going into a project like this, and to start a thread/dialog on the project itself.

BTW, I have access to a collection permit, and know of a few spots that has some interesting stuff for the tank.

Back