Our mission

Anyone here brave enough to re-model the kitchen by themself??

sfsuphysics said:
Well in my experience with general contractors (no offense here Mark) the reason it takes so long is because they stretch things out so damn much. I had a really bad experience with one, who charged me up the wazzoo and considering he showed up exactly twice in 2 weeks (once to pick up the initial deposit again to pick up the final check) the knuckleheads he left as part of his crew always took off by noon or 1pm. They were getting paid by the hour, the contractor made hand over fist money doing nothing except getting a permit. In the end, it took less time for me to do the kitchen than they did leveling the floor.

Basic time line went something like this
Demo - 1day
Leveling the floor - 2 weeks (geezus)
After that, it was all me
drywall up + mud - 2 days
paint - 1 day
Cabinets installed - half a day (literally I spent more time picking them out than it took to put them up :D)
Floor, installed 1 day
Counter installed 1 day

I did some plumbing in the 2 weeks the retards were working their bos.. er I mean the floor.
But yeah, I did have everything ready to go, so trips to home depot after I started were minimized.

Just curious, Did you get permits?
Did you get several bids?
Did you check references?
The reason I ask is that it sound like you got a bad contractor.
I am a GC and I only work on referrals. Never once promoted my business. If my customers were not happy I don't know how i would get another job!

Permits were done for the flooring, I brought all the electrical and plumbing up to code (GFCIs near the sink, etc) and it was all open for inspectors to see when they finally came. No permit required to put down the flooring or cabinets though.
I tried to get several bids, but not many wanted to work on a project that small, I don't know if it was because they had lots of work to choose from, or if they're all just a-holes :D
References, nope.
Yeah I got a bad contractor, and I'm guessing he tossed a couple of his guys on it just to make a few extra bucks on the side. I'm sure there are good contractors, however my experience has been bad with them. Only once did I see one actually get into his work with everyone and check every step along the way... but then again that's because he hires day laborers and it's probably good business to keep an eye on them to make sure they can work to his expectations.

corals b 4 bills said:
Here are the inspections that are nessessary to do a kitchen;

First, half of the cities require that you to get a permit to place a dumpster on city streets for the garbage from your demo.

1. Foundation (Multiple inspections if you add on).
1. Rough Electrical (They may require you to upgrade your sub or main panel too).
2. Rough Plumbing (If you relocate drain lines).
3. Framing (If you move walls, doors or windows).
4. Sheet rock nailing pattern.
5. Mechanical (Such as heating ducts, stove flues, Ect.)
6. Insulation (title 24).
7. Window Flashing inspection.
8. Stucco-2 to3 inspections on coatings.
9. Final Electrical.
10. Final Plumbing.
11. Fire Tape inspection.
12. Final Inpection.

No Offence Taken Mike.

I presume that's if it's new construction? I'm looking at just replacing cabinets, installing a range hood, adding under cabinet lighting, and possibly new flooring. What's needed for that? I'll probably be doing the work myself.

When I talked to the guys at HD they quoted me a price (installed) that was 4x the cost of the cabinets, they cited permit requirements, etc, I honestly can't believe that putting up cabinets requires a permit.

Oh and Mark, Jar, I'm not saying all GCs are scumbags mind you, its just that it seems anyone who buys a pickup truck is instantly qualified to be one, and from a consumer's standpoint it's very difficult to find what a "good one" would be, especially if no one you know has done any work recently.

pixelpixi said:
corals b 4 bills said:
Here are the inspections that are nessessary to do a kitchen;

First, half of the cities require that you to get a permit to place a dumpster on city streets for the garbage from your demo.

1. Foundation (Multiple inspections if you add on).
1. Rough Electrical (They may require you to upgrade your sub or main panel too).
2. Rough Plumbing (If you relocate drain lines).
3. Framing (If you move walls, doors or windows).
4. Sheet rock nailing pattern.
5. Mechanical (Such as heating ducts, stove flues, Ect.)
6. Insulation (title 24).
7. Window Flashing inspection.
8. Stucco-2 to3 inspections on coatings.
9. Final Electrical.
10. Final Plumbing.
11. Fire Tape inspection.
12. Final Inpection.

No Offence Taken Mike.

I presume that's if it's new construction? I'm looking at just replacing cabinets, installing a range hood, adding under cabinet lighting, and possibly new flooring. What's needed for that? I'll probably be doing the work myself.
All of those Inspections are required to do a permited Kitchen Remodel (Except the foundation work if not adding on), this is why alot of people remodel without a permit, a city inspection protects homeowners from fraudulent contractors.

I have been working my butt off the last several days. Almost done with the demolition. Should be ready to paint on the 6th. I have to fix the subfloor because some area got damage. Some area the previous homeowner who is a contractor didn't do it correctly so I have to tear it up and redo it |( .. Hopefully I will be able to to able anything that need to be moved and ready to install cabinet on the 12th. After cabinet I will do the tiles then the laminated wood floor.

Oh I have to fix all the windows too because they weren't installed correctly. I might have to replace them all because they got damaged from the incorrect installation. |( |(

Your beginning to sound like one of those shifty general contractors.
Always blame it on the last guy so you can charge more once you get your foot in the door.
:bigsmile: :D
I'm just kidding of course. This is the norm. A lot of work gets done wrong all the time.
I've found that homes built before the 40's that are in original condition are usually the best constructed.

My favorite was my grandfather and great uncles, they were some seriously good fabricators and could build just about anything... however because they were good at that they thought they could do anything and man oh man electrical/wiring was not one of them... having seen a fricking alligator clip attached to a stripped wire to "tee off it" ugh....

There was a place in oakalnd too I though tit was called superior or something like that. I'll have to check some of my old receipts...

JAR said:
Your beginning to sound like one of those shifty general contractors.
Always blame it on the last guy so you can charge more once you get your foot in the door.
:bigsmile: :D
I'm just kidding of course. This is the norm. A lot of work gets done wrong all the time.
I've found that homes built before the 40's that are in original condition are usually the best constructed.
LOL.. yeah..
I teared up the subfloor today because some pieces are pretty bad. What a PIA.. :( .. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow. That cost me another 2 days..

Just give me a call when you want to stop by Mitch. I will make myself available. :) .. My right arm is hurting so bad right now. Anything strong enough for a 3.5" nail??

Back