Kessil

Anyone here brave enough to re-model the kitchen by themself??

Elite said:
Mr. Ugly said:
We use a worm drive skilsaw with diamond blades for cutting epoxy resin and synthetic stone lab tops at work.
Can it be wet? What model is it? I search for skilsaw but don't see any wet saw.

Skil 77. We do our tops dry, but we're also not doing polished edges.

I'd say let the granite place do all the cutting, shaping, and polishing for you.

Well, you do the faucet holes. No biggie there.

I will see if I can find a place to cut and polishing it for me. Not many place around here willing to cut it for you without installation.

Phong,

Got the info on the granite place my friend was talking about:

Unistone and Cabinet, Inc. 300 Alemany Blvd SF 415 982 3388

Check out their reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/uni-stone-and-cabinet-inc-san-francisco

Pretty much what my friend said. Cheap prices, good quality.

Good if you're not a "CRAZY BLACK GIRL".

You're not a crazy black girl, are you Phong?

:D

I tangled with my kitchen, check out what fun it was!! Never took final shots, got to into finishing it all up!! haha

http://www.boom.net/~jds/pics/House_Kitchen/

Good luck

-jds

Nice.. look more like you were making a mess and the wife had to clean up though :bigsmile: j/k .. How long did it take you to finish all that??

Phong I too am a licensed General Contractor, if you need some advice on your project let me know. BTW most kitchen remodels take 4 to 5 weeks by professionals, the best way to do a quick install is to have everything you need sitting in the garage before you start, half of your time on the project is running back and forth to Home Depot or the supplier buying small fittings, connections, washers, Ect. Also if you are set on doing everything yourselves get estimates from professionals and avail. time from them as a back up if things go sour that way you can be prepared for the worst. You definately can do this stuff yourself but you will need to double the time and money that you are expecting, sit down with your wife before you start and make sure you are both are in agreement that when you start this project that things my come up and it may not be ready when it comes time to move in. Like I said before PM me if you would like to talk.

Mark Bergren
Prime Building and Remodeling Inc.

Thanks for the advise Mark!! Yeah I know little issue will come up. My wife is ok with longer time because I already told her that. The kitchen is really small so hopefully it won't take more than one or two weeks. Countertop is the one that will take a longest time. Worst case, cook outside for a little while :bigsmile: ..

Well in my experience with general contractors (no offense here Mark) the reason it takes so long is because they stretch things out so damn much. I had a really bad experience with one, who charged me up the wazzoo and considering he showed up exactly twice in 2 weeks (once to pick up the initial deposit again to pick up the final check) the knuckleheads he left as part of his crew always took off by noon or 1pm. They were getting paid by the hour, the contractor made hand over fist money doing nothing except getting a permit. In the end, it took less time for me to do the kitchen than they did leveling the floor.

Basic time line went something like this
Demo - 1day
Leveling the floor - 2 weeks (geezus)
After that, it was all me
drywall up + mud - 2 days
paint - 1 day
Cabinets installed - half a day (literally I spent more time picking them out than it took to put them up :D)
Floor, installed 1 day
Counter installed 1 day

I did some plumbing in the 2 weeks the retards were working their bos.. er I mean the floor.
But yeah, I did have everything ready to go, so trips to home depot after I started were minimized.

I will try to have everything ready but then you know how that goes :D .. There will be several trips to HD, Lowes or OSH for sure ..

Here are the inspections that are nessessary to do a kitchen;

First, half of the cities require that you to get a permit to place a dumpster on city streets for the garbage from your demo.

1. Foundation (Multiple inspections if you add on).
1. Rough Electrical (They may require you to upgrade your sub or main panel too).
2. Rough Plumbing (If you relocate drain lines).
3. Framing (If you move walls, doors or windows).
4. Sheet rock nailing pattern.
5. Mechanical (Such as heating ducts, stove flues, Ect.)
6. Insulation (title 24).
7. Window Flashing inspection.
8. Stucco-2 to3 inspections on coatings.
9. Final Electrical.
10. Final Plumbing.
11. Fire Tape inspection.
12. Final Inpection.

No Offence Taken Mike.

I only replace the cabinet and the tile floor.. I might have to move the vent for the microhood about 10" to the right. That's about it.

Back