High Tide Aquatics

anyone in the almaden valley of San Jose????sponge needs a home

I am looking to see if anyone is in the almaden valley. I am still out here in Las Vegas but my wife is driving out here today and going back on sunday and I would like to send her back with a few pieces of My photosynthetic purple sponges. I have spread it around out here to make sure I can get a piece sent to me when i get back to the bay. If someone out there would like to pick a piece up from her on sunday it would make life a lot easier.......and you would get a real cool one of a kind sponge.......It is bright purple and fully photosynthetic..........it grows SPS fast....all you need is good lighting ......I started out with an inch piece 1 1/2 years ago and it has grown to an incredible size. Right now it is about 1' x 1' and that is after I killed it off about 9 months ago when i dosed some chemi clean. It came back with avengeance from no noticeable tissue. Anyways if someone can help me out please let me know. She is staying off of almaden and branham.......all you would have to do is be willing to go by and pick one up on sunday, and then hook me back up when I get there.....which is who knows when.....hopefully soon though ........I will try and get a pic of it.........it is a very cool piece though......it encrusts and plates and grows vertical spears

I am in SF all day or I would meet up to pick some up. If someone is going, I am off Monday and could pick up then, or at the swap.

By good lighting I am PC, so maybe out of the running to grow this even. Does it feed on phyto or oyster feast?

yardartist said:
I am in SF all day or I would meet up to pick some up. If someone is going, I am off Monday and could pick up then, or at the swap.

By good lighting I am PC, so maybe out of the running to grow this even. Does it feed on phyto or oyster feast?

it is strictly photosynthetic...............doesnt have to be feed anything..........just light...........i know iknow it sounds weird for a sponge.......it's a one of a kind thing. I dont know how well it would do under pc's. maybe okay at the very top. I know it is growing in tanks with t-5's and halides. I dont think she will make the trip to SF.......but I am pretty sure it would do okay in a container until monday if you wanted to take the drive to SJ.

I guess great minds think alike......I just notice Cookiejar has the same coral post in his DBTC thread calling it a purple chalice sponge.................Dont want to step on any toes......but not to sure you need to have a skimmerless tank or able to grow any other sponges in order to make this one work. Unlike his mine is growing at the very top of my tank under 250's. I have also seen it grow in heavily skimmed sps dominated tank...........

This was the original piece........a little less then 1".......I originally posted this pic aug 2008 and recieved the frag in may of 08. It is the purple piece just under the chromis....to the bottom right of the duncans
IMG_5292.jpg

This pic was taken last sunday after 90% of my corals left for new homes.......you can see the piece as it is now towards the top.....just to the right of the mushrooms. This is after I killed it all off back in late 08....before I killed it off I was a bit bigger than this.
IMG_7044.jpg

I would like to have one of the sponges I am in Fremont and I could meet on Sunday or at your wife best time to pick it up amd bring the spong to a cool home. I run 250 metal halide with actinic.
Thanks

Gus if you can get it then I will work on my work station on Monday as planned. If not Desertreefer PM me about place and time to meet. It would be nice to meet after the morning rush hour.

Consider me in line for this as a lighting upgrade is coming. Thanks,

Hi Richard
How are you?
I am doing great. Well I would love to get it and make it grow. Depends on how fast it grows I could frag it very soon. Hopefully under my 250 HQI it will grow faster, since next week I will be switching to a 10k bulb for faster growth. FYI the AOG is still a little one head frag. But it is doing good.

Hi desertreefer
Just pm and let me know the time and place to meet her and get the sponge.

Hey thanks guys......I will send her out there with a few pieces.........I guess i cant pm you cause i am not a paid member yet......anyways give me a call 702 336-2142...Jeff, and we can set up all the details. I really appreciate this it will just make it a lot easier to get it back in my tank when I get out there.

ModernReefKeeper said:
Id really like to trade for a small piece of this, i like the odd stuff

Feel free to give me a call at the number above.....and as long as you can pick it up from my wife you will be doing me a big favor............all I ask for is that when I get out there you hook me back up with a piece.

well my wife's trip doesn't seem to be going well...............and am affraid the corals arent going to make it...................apparently she got a flat and the tow truck driver that came to change it dropped and broke the container with the corals, losing all the water. cell service is pretty crappy but i am not sure if she was able to save any of the frags, but they would have been out of water for over 2 hours now....aint looking good.

desertreefer said:
ModernReefKeeper said:
Id really like to trade for a small piece of this, i like the odd stuff

Feel free to give me a call at the number above.....and as long as you can pick it up from my wife you will be doing me a big favor............all I ask for is that when I get out there you hook me back up with a piece.

whoa am i too late on this?
let me know!

Back