Reef nutrition

Apex issue thread

Chromis

Supporting Member
This week, my Trident is showing “testing alk” for two days even though it is not doing anything. I tried restarting and unplugging. Does anyone know of a fix?
Thanks!
IMG_5611.jpeg
IMG_5610.jpeg

You know, I’ve been seeing random errors of “Test A failed” and “no test in 24h” since the last Apex OS update. Are you running the latest version as well? I’m using 5.11_6A23.
IMG_5613.jpeg

Looks like I have an older firmware version. I get test A failed once a month too. By the way is it possible to get my Apex to alarm when test A fails or it doesn’t test alk for 24 hours?

I just noticed my Neptune COR return is turning on and off repeatedly - like every 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off and water sloshes back down to the sump (the no-back-siphon feature never seemed to work anyway) what could be going on?
IMG_5614.jpeg

Now in addition to troubleshooting my Trident I guess I get to take my return pump apart too. I swear there are gremlins living in Neptune equipment…

Ugh. Took apart the Neptune COR pump, no debris or anything wrong that I could tell, turned it back on - it spun up for a few secs, then immediately turned back off and now won’t come on again.

View attachment 49103
Looks like I have an older firmware version. I get test A failed once a month too. By the way is it possible to get my Apex to alarm when test A fails or it doesn’t test alk for 24 hours?

You can add this line to SNDALM_I6 outlet, but this will sound the alarm for any Trident error. AFAIK, there’s no way to trigger on a specific error type.

If Error Trident_8_3 Then ON

(replace with your Trident’s name or address )

Thanks. I guess the other question is if the Trident/Apex is still only capable of reporting one error at a time - because my calcium was out of range by 10ppm (I would normally ignore that one) it doesn’t show the more important “no test in 24 hours” or “alk out of range” alarms.

Thanks. I guess the other question is if the Trident/Apex is still only capable of reporting one error at a time - because my calcium was out of range by 10ppm (I would normally ignore that one) it doesn’t show the more important “no test in 24 hours” or “alk out of range” alarms.

Apex is annoying like that. There are no error priorities and once an error is reported Apex will not notify you about the subsequent errors until the first error has been cleared.

Ok - it seems like one commonality of today’s Apex issues is that the Trident and COR are both plugged into the pseudo-USB ports (although on two different EB-8’s). I’m wondering if a power spike knocked out the ports (I lost a port then an entire EB-8 due to power spikes during the storms last winter) and I want to test them but my husband left out multimeter somewhere so I’m checking if my neighbors can lend me one.

Well, after poking around with a voltmeter, seems the COR pump power adapter is dead. Meaning, there is 120V coming from the EB-8 outlet, and going into the adapter, but not coming out and the built-in adapter LED light is dark. Does anyone have a spare adapter or know what other equipment uses a similar adapter?
IMG_7648.jpeg

Well, after poking around with a voltmeter, seems the COR pump power adapter is dead. Meaning, there is 120V coming from the EB-8 outlet, and going into the adapter, but not coming out and the built-in adapter LED light is dark. Does anyone have a spare adapter or know what other equipment uses a similar adapter?
View attachment 49108

COR power supply failure is a common problem. When I had the same problem with my COR20 I contacted Neptune and they sent me a free replacement. Neptune Aquatics in SJ also sells them. You can also buy them from here: https://shop.neptunesystems.com/products/cor-power-supply

1Link power supply is also compatible.

Last edited:
Thanks @SupraSaltyReefer . My COR is 2 years old (the warranty is only 1 year) so I will use this info to buy a new supply. When the pump finally fails I’ll know to keep the $50 power supply for a fellow reefer…

I hate buying the same supply again (fool me twice…) but BRS says the 1-link is only for the COR-15? I have the COR-20.
IMG_5628.jpeg

Thanks @SupraSaltyReefer . My COR is 2 years old (the warranty is only 1 year) so I will use this info to buy a new supply. When the pump finally fails I’ll know to keep the $50 power supply for a fellow reefer…

I hate buying the same supply again (fool me twice…) but BRS says the 1-link is only for the COR-15? I have the COR-20.
View attachment 49113

File a RMA with Neptune anyways. My COR20 was out of warranty as well, but since they know it’s a common problem they covered it.

Read this thread. Sounds like that BRS question was asking if you can use the 1Link for the COR20 which you can’t. But it doesn’t answer if you can use the 1Link’s power supply to power the COR20 since it can run standalone.

Last edited:

View attachment 49113
Neptune is often good about replacements outside of warranty. It’s worth asking before assuming the worst.

I received the replacement power supply I bought directly from Neptune Systems and it solved the problem. I’m asking them if they can reimburse part or all the supply cost and if they changed the manufacturer or design yet so I know if I will need another new one in 2 years.
When I took apart my COR 20 I found the o-ring was not big enough to seal the pump and that explains water gushing out the seal… and maybe why the pump flow rate was underwhelming (always had to run it 100% on a 90g tank). I asked what they suggest to fix that too - I will def need a replacement o-ring. I don’t know if the o-ring was always too small or shrank over time. Dang

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpeg
    IMG_5678.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 56
Oh - figured out if I really tighten the case screws, the o-ring must flatten out as it seals better. Still, seems like the o-ring could be bigger since you can’t see it in profile.

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpeg
    IMG_5688.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 62
Back