Jestersix

Apogee MQ-510 vs Parwise Meter Side-by-Side

gmdcdvm

Supporting Member
Well,
I did a side by side comparison of the Parwise meter I purchased vs the MQ-510. Overall it seems the Parwise meter reads about 20-30% lower than the Apogee. I had brought it by Cali Kids and got similar low readings. I emailed the company to see what they had to say. I will let you know.

Attachments

• IMG_3674.jpeg
    IMG_3674.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3681.jpeg
    IMG_3681.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3683.jpeg
    IMG_3683.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 84
Maybe? If you look at the percentages the Parwise measure about 75-80% of the Apogee within a few percentage points.
G

Maybe? If you look at the percentages the Parwise measure about 75-80% of the Apogee within a few percentage points.
G
I wonder if they forgot to add in the 1.25x correction factor when calculating full spectrum par readings underwater in the firmware. I'd be surprised if that went live without it, but it's in range and could be one of those "oops" things people don't think about.

what is the reason for the 1.25 correction factor?
Looking it up just notes "immersion factor correction". I'm going to hazard a guess that, since immersion in water causes light absorption, it lowers detected PAR at a consistent rate (or at least consistent enough within the relatively shallow depths of our tank).

I think I saw during the demo that the PARwise has an air vs. water mode for people keeping like orchids etc.

Last edited:
The immersion correction factor for Apogee meters is due to the difference in refractive index of water vs the surface of the sensor, opposed to the refractive index of air vs the surface of the sensor. It‘s just the physics of it, and the sensor shape has an effect. When there is a higher difference between 2 adjacent refractive indices then light is more scattered as it crosses between them, so the correction factor adds that back.

I don’t know about the relevance of the PARwise meter for this, but it certainly could account for part of the difference if the correction factor isn’t taken into account. The Apogee PAR meters we use have the correction factor on as the default since they are for under water saltwater use.

Apogee’s discussion of this:

That's why I'm thinking maybe the wrong mode was selected in the installation menu for the PARwise if there's a clear offset seen in your readings @gmdcdvm

If not, then what could be going on is that the Apogee reads 389-962 nm vs. the PARwise at 380-800 nm. So could there be some red spectrum being caught by the Apogee that the PARwise isn't counting too? (The PARwise website claims 400-700 is the definition of PAR). So again unclear.

Either way it seems like a very useful tool given the GUI, spectral analysis, etc.

Reactions: JVU
Hey everyone,
Here is the response to the email I sent them about the different readings.

Gerry

Here is the info they sent me. Not sure if it copied over well.

Hello Gerardo,

Thanks for reaching out to us and bringing forward your concerns! We have absolute faith in our product and hope that you will too. PARwise is a very modern lightmeter using the latest digital technologies. – Apogee are using silicone photodiodes which is a rather older technology. This is why PARwise is able to read spectrum too.

Apogee have many different models of PAR meter and sensors, all suitable for different jobs and installations. Quantum Sensors - PAR Meters | Apogee Instruments (https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/) Some models are better suited to other jobs than others. PARwise has been built to be able to used in any lighting situation as it is a digital sensor, not analogue and as such doesn’t suffer some of the drawbacks when using analogue sensors and physical filters. Looking at the spec of the MQ200 – this is designed for measuring sunlight in open air and uses their original sensor which has an interesting sensitivity range – it’s not designed for use under water and as such, doesn’t have any correction factor for underwater use. Apogee themselves recommend that users shouldn’t use that model for measuring LEDs – just in case your light was LED. Note we do have two calibrations in PARwise, in air and underwater mode.

We have several models of Apogee and none of them match each other. I’ve done a little experiment on my tank at home to show this. Measurements were taken under a Kessil A80 with the lens dome touching the surface of the water

MQ-200 - 730
MQ-510 – 1065
PARwise – 911

Of course in this instance and light source / spectrum / distance – the PARwise is measuring between the two apogees and higher than the MQ-200 I have here. I have also measured my Apogee against one at an LFS and the results did differ, but I’m unsure of the variance.

1685755942950.png
1685755943063.png
1685755943474.png

Something to note is that if you have the two sensor heads level – the PARwise sensor is likely lower due to the position of the actual light receiving sensor in the body – I know the apogee units are different sizes but where the actual photodiode is inside their body I’m unsure as I’ve never taken a dome apart – the sensor in ours is approximately 1/3rd down from the highest point on the sensor – these minute differences can make up large differences in results if you adjust the height, especially under brighter situations. I’d propose that the PARwise needs to be held a little bit higher than the Apogee ones. In some pictures, the sensor heads are not on an even plane or position with the Apogee sensor head being higher than PARwise – the height difference can account for several percent alone as water depth and position under the light can make big differences.

PARwise are individually calibrated against a laboratory spectrometer that is itself calibrated by an external accredited lab regularly to not only check their spectral response, but sensitivity to photon flux density. We can absolutely trust in our results. 

The final kicker and thing to explain with PARwise is that it’s able to selectively ignore spectra – This is because it can see and measure the colour of light. This means we only truly report light that falls between 400nm and 700nm. Apogee’s sensors will report light outside of the PAR range and as a result, skew their results if it’s there – e.g infrared/near UV. You can check this by using it on a blacklight source on it vs PARwise – there should be only a small amount of PAR which we see as visible ‘purple’ light. The Apogee’s tend to report more (as is shown on their response curve on their website). See below for an example using a UV Blacklight flashlight..

1685755943520.png
1685755943557.png
1685755943579.png

The over-representation can also be seen and explained in their spectral response curves here: https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/ (https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/). We are selectively ignoring parts of the spectrum that don’t scientifically meet the description of PAR (400nm to 700nm range). The attached PARwise graph is from where I did the same experiment as above with PARwise. You can see a huge spike of near UV light (383nm reported) – but it’s only showing 76 PAR because only a small portion falls over 400nm.

The final point to make is, that no two light meter models will ever give you the exact same results! This is due to manufacturing and calibration tolerances. In science, we always need to state to the make, model and any calibration data/standard so it can be replicated more accurately. If you are trying to direct compare with a different manufacturer’s model with a friend, if you accurately measure the distance and light levels across varying spectra and distances with those two devices, you may be able to work out the difference between yours and his meter and make a comparison calculation – note that this may not work for another MQ200/PARwise combo due to manufacturing tolerance differences. We know our device result repeatability is very tight – so when comparing against another PARwise you’ll get an extremely close result and no comparison calculation is required. 

Whilst of course I don’t mean to throw a shadow on Apogee’s products they work and have reasons for their results given – the results must be understood and compared with the same models only (I.E MQ200 vs MQ200) for accurate comparisons.

I hope this goes some way to explain the differences you’ll see when using an Apogee vs PARwise and the pitfalls there can be when comparing different models of light meters! At the end of the day, these products are there for you to tune your lighting but don’t forget nutrient availability, water parameter stability and individual coral health conditions are big factors in a corals ability to adapt to different light cycles, spectra and peak brightnesses.

I hope this goes some way to explain the differe
nces in light readings when comparing other light meters.

Kindest regards,
Craig

Seneye Support Team

Hey everyone,
Here is the response to the email I sent them about the different readings.

Gerry

Here is the info they sent me. Not sure if it copied over well.

Hello Gerardo,

Thanks for reaching out to us and bringing forward your concerns! We have absolute faith in our product and hope that you will too. PARwise is a very modern lightmeter using the latest digital technologies. – Apogee are using silicone photodiodes which is a rather older technology. This is why PARwise is able to read spectrum too.

Apogee have many different models of PAR meter and sensors, all suitable for different jobs and installations. Quantum Sensors - PAR Meters | Apogee Instruments (https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/) Some models are better suited to other jobs than others. PARwise has been built to be able to used in any lighting situation as it is a digital sensor, not analogue and as such doesn’t suffer some of the drawbacks when using analogue sensors and physical filters. Looking at the spec of the MQ200 – this is designed for measuring sunlight in open air and uses their original sensor which has an interesting sensitivity range – it’s not designed for use under water and as such, doesn’t have any correction factor for underwater use. Apogee themselves recommend that users shouldn’t use that model for measuring LEDs – just in case your light was LED. Note we do have two calibrations in PARwise, in air and underwater mode.

We have several models of Apogee and none of them match each other. I’ve done a little experiment on my tank at home to show this. Measurements were taken under a Kessil A80 with the lens dome touching the surface of the water

MQ-200 - 730
MQ-510 – 1065
PARwise – 911

Of course in this instance and light source / spectrum / distance – the PARwise is measuring between the two apogees and higher than the MQ-200 I have here. I have also measured my Apogee against one at an LFS and the results did differ, but I’m unsure of the variance.

View attachment 47968View attachment 47967View attachment 47969

Something to note is that if you have the two sensor heads level – the PARwise sensor is likely lower due to the position of the actual light receiving sensor in the body – I know the apogee units are different sizes but where the actual photodiode is inside their body I’m unsure as I’ve never taken a dome apart – the sensor in ours is approximately 1/3rd down from the highest point on the sensor – these minute differences can make up large differences in results if you adjust the height, especially under brighter situations. I’d propose that the PARwise needs to be held a little bit higher than the Apogee ones. In some pictures, the sensor heads are not on an even plane or position with the Apogee sensor head being higher than PARwise – the height difference can account for several percent alone as water depth and position under the light can make big differences.

PARwise are individually calibrated against a laboratory spectrometer that is itself calibrated by an external accredited lab regularly to not only check their spectral response, but sensitivity to photon flux density. We can absolutely trust in our results. 

The final kicker and thing to explain with PARwise is that it’s able to selectively ignore spectra – This is because it can see and measure the colour of light. This means we only truly report light that falls between 400nm and 700nm. Apogee’s sensors will report light outside of the PAR range and as a result, skew their results if it’s there – e.g infrared/near UV. You can check this by using it on a blacklight source on it vs PARwise – there should be only a small amount of PAR which we see as visible ‘purple’ light. The Apogee’s tend to report more (as is shown on their response curve on their website). See below for an example using a UV Blacklight flashlight..

View attachment 47965View attachment 47966View attachment 47964

The over-representation can also be seen and explained in their spectral response curves here: https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/ (https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/). We are selectively ignoring parts of the spectrum that don’t scientifically meet the description of PAR (400nm to 700nm range). The attached PARwise graph is from where I did the same experiment as above with PARwise. You can see a huge spike of near UV light (383nm reported) – but it’s only showing 76 PAR because only a small portion falls over 400nm.

The final point to make is, that no two light meter models will ever give you the exact same results! This is due to manufacturing and calibration tolerances. In science, we always need to state to the make, model and any calibration data/standard so it can be replicated more accurately. If you are trying to direct compare with a different manufacturer’s model with a friend, if you accurately measure the distance and light levels across varying spectra and distances with those two devices, you may be able to work out the difference between yours and his meter and make a comparison calculation – note that this may not work for another MQ200/PARwise combo due to manufacturing tolerance differences. We know our device result repeatability is very tight – so when comparing against another PARwise you’ll get an extremely close result and no comparison calculation is required. 

Whilst of course I don’t mean to throw a shadow on Apogee’s products they work and have reasons for their results given – the results must be understood and compared with the same models only (I.E MQ200 vs MQ200) for accurate comparisons.

I hope this goes some way to explain the differences you’ll see when using an Apogee vs PARwise and the pitfalls there can be when comparing different models of light meters! At the end of the day, these products are there for you to tune your lighting but don’t forget nutrient availability, water parameter stability and individual coral health conditions are big factors in a corals ability to adapt to different light cycles, spectra and peak brightnesses.

I hope this goes some way to explain the differe
nces in light readings when comparing other light meters.

Kindest regards,
Craig

Seneye Support Team
That's one of the great things about early dev cycle companies, passion seems to be oozing out of that message.

Back