High Tide Aquatics

Aquarium Concepts fire!

I just read that Aquarium Concepts had a fire this morning.

Looks like it wasn't too big but that the building had substantial damage. Some livestock loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shit I almost had a fire last night as the power blipped last night the return pump power supply breaker went off , but my apex thinks the socket is on. So heater was on in the overflow where there is no water. Woke up at 4 am cause of stomach ache and notice the smell. Good thing it only burned the heater casing and there was still water in the over flow to not let anything else burn through. Realize I forgot to add in a extra lines of code on the heater programming to shut off when sump level float trips. Reason why I am investing in the new apex to send me alert when a socket is on but not sensing any power draw. Also adding in a float in my overflow to sense no water and shut off heater.

16" heaters won't fit the sump. I forgot to add the line of code where sump level too high shut off heater means pump stop running. I had a float for to high water volunteer in sump shut off skimmer. Should of added that same switch to heater code. Wasn't thinking when I did that. Adding a new float in the overflow too.

Last edited:
Shit I almost had a fire last night as the power blipped last night the return pump power supply breaker went off , but my apex thinks the socket is on. So heater was on in the overflow where there is no water. Woke up at 4 am cause of stomach ache and notice the smell. Good thing it only burned the heater casing and there was still water in the over flow to not let anything else burn through. Realize I forgot to add in a extra lines of code on the heater programming to shut off when sump level float trips. Reason why I am investing in the new apex to send me alert when a socket is on but not sensing any power draw. Also adding in a float in my overflow to sense no water and shut off heater.

Smoke detectors

It didn't detect the burn plastic smell.
There was no smoke as the heater was half laying in water causing water boiling steam.

Last edited:
It didn't detect the burn plastic smell.
There was no smoke as the heater was half laying in water causing water boiling steam.

The heater itself should have shut off. Most (but not all) do that when run dry.
You might want to replace the heater while you are at it.

The heater itself should have shut off. Most (but not all) do that when run dry.
You might want to replace the heater while you are at it.
I was expecting one of mine to go off because it wasn't submerged and it didn't and a similar situation happened.

I was expecting one of mine to go off because it wasn't submerged and it didn't and a similar situation happened.

+1. Some time ago, one Finnex heater overheated until it made the glass casting explode into small pieces when I left it running without water by mistake. The scary part was that it only took a couple of minutes to explode after it got out of water.

Just added extra float switch in my coast to coast overflow. Noted I have double switches to signal heater off when return pump breaks even though socket is on.

Also the new apex with power monitoring of socket will help as well.

Back