Our mission

Aquarium Insurance?

Anyone here have insurance to protect your apartment/home in case the tank breaks or overflows? The apartment we're moving into requires it, but I can't find anyone who can provide it. Help?

I tried asking AAA since I have my renter's insurance with them. However, they wouldn't create a special rider or addendum nor would they mention it wasn't covered. A very gray area.

After some prodding, they did mention any water damage would be covered and any accidents would be covered. But they wouldn't be specific with any legalese, so I assume it'll be a case-by-case basis.

Yeah I would think water damage would be a catch all term to cover any accidental breakage of anything with water in your house.

Maybe talk to your insurance company and simply have them write a letter/statement that says something to that effect, not sure there is an actual "aquarium insurance" policy you could buy though.

I asked my insurance about this and they said any damage to the apartment would be covered under "water damage", but that there was no specific coverage for aquariums.

Everyone I've talked to says they won't cover damage caused by aquariums, unless it breaks by fire, tornado, etc. They won't even add a rider. I've never had a tank bust (crosses fingers) so I'm not too worried, but my husband is, so the tank gets vetoed or much smaller if I can't find insurance. :(

You need to read the specific policy if you want to be sure.
Yes ... not so easy.

From my understanding of what is "common":
You are covered if your tank breaks and has a major flood, but not covered for slow leaks,
moisture issues, and other long term things. (Like with normal pipes)
You are covered for damage to house, but not to aquarium itself.
You are probably not covered by normal policy if an earthquake causes the flood.

Back