High Tide Aquatics

Auto Water change res appears to have fully precipitated out

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Any one ever seen their fresh salt water look like this after 9 days?

Looks almost like spider webs. The container was freshly cleaned 9 days ago.
B1D2265E-7FBD-40F4-B811-676A69455CBF.jpeg

Do you run a power head until dissolved? I run one for a few days when I mix my 40 L vat. Wondering what salt you’re using too

Do you run a power head until dissolved? I run one for a few days when I mix my 40 L vat. Wondering what salt you’re using too
Red Sea blue bucket. Powerhead to mix it. Usually only a few hours. It also didn’t start looking like that until day 5.

This is strange. Red Sea salt sometimes only leaves behind a brown crud.
Could this be due to stratification - Had you mixed the dry salt when you opened the bucket?

I suggest measuring Salinity, Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity in your reservoir as it is right now, and compare to these values:

1626425581989.png

Also, for reference, here's what RedSea says about storing their salt mixtures:
1626425859541.png

This is strange. Red Sea salt sometimes only leaves behind a brown crud.
Could this be due to stratification - Had you mixed the dry salt when you opened the bucket?

I suggest measuring Salinity, Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity in your reservoir as it is right now, and compare to these values:

View attachment 29854

Also, for reference, here's what RedSea says about storing their salt mixtures:
View attachment 29855
Thanks, maybe I’ll try a different salt.

I’ll give it a test this weekend.

You should keep a powerhead and a heater in there, especially if you're using red sea salt. BRS investigates did a video on storing mixed salt water and red sea lost most of its "potency" pretty quick without heat and flow.

You should keep a powerhead and a heater in there, especially if you're using red sea salt. BRS investigates did a video on storing mixed salt water and red sea lost most of its "potency" pretty quick without heat and flow.
This is kind of what I do. I keep mine mixed, but no heater. My mixing pump keeps the water to a reasonable temp.

Agree it looks like bacteria or something growing. Just test the salinity of the water in there. If it is normal then that is something biological, if it is low then precipitation is at least part of what‘s going on.

Back