got ethical husbandry?

Backup Power Option???

Is there a general rule on % spike for start up? I'd like to figure the minimum wattage gen I would need to run my recirculation pump and chiller, considering start up spike, and use that as a baseline for my research in finding the right gen for me.

Jeff, Costco has a 7K watt one for less than half of the price. Quiet is nice but how often do you really need it?? If I'm out of power for a day, I don't care what my neighbor think ;D ..

Your neighbor can call the cops who can and will issue a ticket unless it's a emergency. Happened to a friend of mine locally. your millage may very.

The Honda has insane emissions as well. Super nice unit. Personally I wouldn't settle for less :)

When my power went out I believe the generator saved my tank. Just make sure you calculate how much wattage your gonna use. Our generator ran all the phs and the heater and we still had the bubble makers on for oxygen. Its true they only kept it to one spot, but if you have a bubble maker plus powerhead it does make a difference in my eyes. The generator was really the only long term solution in the end, Id hate to have to replace those marine deep cycle batteries after one long outtage. ~Amy

FWIW bubble makes (air pumps) don't raise the O2 levels all that much but rather help keep the PH up be helping lower the dissolved C02.

I've "heard" that honda one in Golden gate park, in fact I almost walked into it, it was that quiet! Small, compact, but was powering a couple big speakers/amps so I'm assuming it could handle some pumps, went looking online and wammo sticker shock! :D Yeah you pay for the quiet to be sure :)

One thing I've always wondered though is what's the lowest wattage they can put out, not the peak, I assume they'll simply run less RPMs in the motor, but is there a low point when you can't get any less energy out of them? It'd be a shame to waste a bunch of gasoline to power a few things because you got a 7000watt unit, but only need a few hundred watts at any given time.

My friends have thrown events at GGP for many years and use the Honda I like (but 5K version IIRC) (Sunset/pacific Soundsystem in Golden Gate Park), I wonder if it was them you saw :)

Well Sunset events are 100% dance, but not instructional, just DJ's, loud music and loads of friends.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6431.msg82689#msg82689 date=1235076489]
One thing I've always wondered though is what's the lowest wattage they can put out, not the peak, I assume they'll simply run less RPMs in the motor, but is there a low point when you can't get any less energy out of them? It'd be a shame to waste a bunch of gasoline to power a few things because you got a 7000watt unit, but only need a few hundred watts at any given time.
[/quote]

You're a step ahead of me.... this was my next question.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6431.msg82673#msg82673 date=1235074990]
Your neighbor can call the cops who can and will issue a ticket unless it's a emergency. Happened to a friend of mine locally. your millage may very.

The Honda has insane emissions as well. Super nice unit. Personally I wouldn't settle for less :)
[/quote]

Understand the point but for me this is a "hope I never have to use it" investment... just want it for a "just in case" scenario. Power only went out once all year last year and only for about 6 hours. An extra 10dB between the $2000 unit and the $600 unit I'm looking at is not going to bother the neighbors IMO so i'm ok with this. If I was going to use the gen for a wide variety of things which sounds like you guys experience has seen I'd probably go for it. But for me.... this is just a backup for my pump and chiller/heater... possibly my fridge if it's a long power outage. My father has a Honda unit also that he uses for events and job sights. It's a beast on power but quiet and efficient. I think his was more in the $6K range though.

A quick status update for this thread.... I went ahead and ordered some vortechs with battery backups to replace my koralias and tunze. Putting two MP40w w/ Battery backup in the DT to replace 4 Koralia 4's and a Tunze 6060 and putting a MP20w w/ Battery backup in the Frag tank to replace the two Koralia 2's and one Koralia 3. It will be much less clutter in my tanks also and great flow. The only thing this doesn't cover is a heater on backup which is much less of a concern IMO/IME.

Ok phong... Once I get up and running with the Vortechs I'll go through all my PH's and find out what I'm going to try and sell and what I want to keep as backup.... you'll have first pick though.

Back