Neptune Aquatics

Bad day: Apex and dosing pumps

Yeah, it's only a total of 72 ml per day. Any reason to do it while the lights are on vs when the lights are off? I thought you should dose Alk at night when your pH is lowest?

Edited to correct my approach to outlet programing and do as Tony suggests, use "Advanced" mode and enter start and stop codes.
Thanks for the suggestion, Tony!

Edited to correct my thinking! :exmark: I now am programing the pump outlets in Advanced mode and entering start and stop times 5 times a day for 11 minutes each giving me a total run time of 55 minutes for my 107 gal system.

Also, I'm running my Mh on #4 and #8 position. They handle more current than the other sites. I'm using #2 and #6 for my dosing pumps. Make sure and change the name of each circuit on the block to reflect what you are running.

IMG_1002.jpg

I follow ya H)
So I updated dosing outlet types to "Advanced" and entered the following code for CA dosing:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 12:00 to 12:11 Then ON
If Time 14:00 to 14:11 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 16:11 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 18:11 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 20:11 Then ON

This coded for the outlet with the ALK doser:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 13:00 to 13:11 Then ON
If Time 15:00 to 15:11 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 17:11 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:11 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:11 Then ON

I think this makes sense based on what we've been discussing. :cool:

Thanks again for all the gentle direction............ :crown:

Gomer said:
I would think it would be good to maintain alk/Ca by replacing the depletion during time of max consumption.

You positive that is when they lay down the most skeleton? I seem to recall it as the opposite.

psssh I'm still at work so you're it :lol: 1:20 and counting!!!!

Diurnal Changes in Microstructure and Microscale Chemistry of Reef Coral Skeletons
A.L. Cohen, et al, Dept of Geology and Geophysics, Woods hole of Oceanographic Institution

Abstract:
Calcification by corals with symbiotic zooxanthellae occurs 3 times faster in daylight than it does at night. We investigated the effects of light enhanced calcification on the microstructure and elemental chemistry of the aragonite skeleton over the diurnal cycle. The morphology of nighttime crystals accreted in the absence of photosynthesis imitates that of slow growing inorganic cements in a high CO2 environment. The morphology of daytime crystals accreted during the photosynthetic period imitates that of fast growing inorganic cements in a low CO2 environment. We used an Cameca IMS 3f ion microprobe to measure changes in the strontium-calcium content (Sr/Ca) of the growing skeleton of the tropical reef coral, Porites lutea, over the diurnal cycle. Sr/Ca in nighttime skeleton is close to equilibrium values but a large decrease in Sr/Ca is observed as the daytime crystals grow to fill the extracellular calcifying space in summer. The amplitude of change in skeletal Sr/Ca between night and day is as large as the annual cycle in Sr/Ca. During summer, at peak water temperature and symbiont photosynthesis, the amplitude of the diurnal Sr/Ca cycle is 3 times greater than that incurred only by the diurnal change in water temperature. During winter, the amplitude of the diurnal Sr/Ca cycle is equivalent to that incurred by temperature alone. Our data show that processes linked to symbiont photosynthesis exert significant influence on both skeletal microstructure
and microchemistry, and that temperature is not the primary control of diurnal Sr/Ca variability in reef coral skeleton.

P. Spencer Davies1, 2
(1) Department of Zoology, University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ Glasgow, Scotland, UK
(2) Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory, Jamaica

Accepted: 16 January 1989
Communicated by J. Mauchline, Oban
Abstract An accurate method for determining the growth rates of the skeleton of isolated branch tips (nubbins) of corals over intervals of less than 24 h is described. The skeletal weight of the coral was estimated from its buoyant weight in seawater whose density had been accurately determined. The coral tissues accounted for between 1 and 5% of the total buoyant weight in Pocillopora verrucosa and Acropora humilis with differing relative tissue biomass. After correcting for tissue buoyant weight, predictions of skeletal weight were accurate to within 1%. The method was used to estimate the growth of sample nubbins of Porites porites of similar diameter, in 2 m of water at Discovery Bay, Jamaica. Since growth of these branch tips is apical, growth rate could be expressed without correction for the size. The mean 24 h skeletal growth rate ranged between 40 and 47 mg. Differences could be measured between day-time and night-time growth, the day: night ratio being 3.7
. The method also showed that P. porites virtually ceases calcification during the 4 to 5 d periods that it becomes enclosed in a mucus tunic. Nubbins of P. porites attached to the reef at different locations showed clear differences in growth rate with depth, and between clear and turbid water sites. The growth rate of nubbins was compared with that of branch tips of whole corals by measuring the linear extension after staining with Alizarin Red S. After 3 1/2 mo, the mean linear extension was 4.1 mm in each case, indicating that the growth rate of nubbins is the same as that of branch tips of the whole colony. It is suggested that this buoyant weighing technique will find applications in laboratory experiments with calcification mechanisms and as a bioassay on reefs exposed to environmental stress.

What no link??? didn't happen, nope, not going to trust it :lol:

Woods Hole, oh right, I'm gonna believe some rinky dink operation like that :p

:p

http://www.whoi.edu/science/GG/people/acohen/research/chemistry.html

http://www.springerlink.com/content/m88950t373k54m8p/

find me some truffles!

Unless you are present when I find them, and have tied my throat off, that'll be a big problem :lol:

lol. If you ever go to the Ferry Terminal, hit up the creamery (only big cheese shop there) and get their Sottocenere. H.S., that stuff is good!!!!! (it's a truffle oil/truffle infused cheese)

Using this logic, should I consider dosing CA during the day and ALK during the night as the Ph drops after the lights turn off? Thanks for continuing to beat this horse. I want to maximize my results!

Back